When we moved into our RV the darling GPS naturally came with us but, as we very quickly found out, a GPS is simply not enough. Our handy little mobile home hits the road at ~42 feet long (~50 feet with the car towed in the back), a svelte 33,000 pounds of weight and rather limited turning capacity. So, knowing your route involves not only knowing the way, but also clearance (for tunnels), gradients, accessible gas stations and places to get out of trouble. Paul usually does the route-planning (see first paragraph), but over the past few months I’ve managed to make a marginal contribution and have become quite savvy with the various publications.
Here’s the best of the best:
- Good Sam’s RV Atlas - more than an atlas it maps campgrounds, truck routes and RV service centers
- Mountain Directory - a detailed description of mountain passes and steep grades specifically for RV’ers and truckers
- Good Sam’s Exit Now Directory - lists fuel, RV parks, truck stops, rest stops, hospitals, food and just about everything else available at each and every exit of the US interstate
So, for those looking to hit the open road, by all means bring the GPS, but don’t forget the good ‘ol books too.
Where Are We Today?Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
Port Townsend, WA Today Thursday FridayChance of a Thunderstorm66°/52°Rain Showers68°/52°Partly Cloudy70°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
- NF Campground Review – Kalaloch Beach, WA
- Squeeze Me And Yes, Please – Kalaloch, WA
- RV Park Review – American Sunset RV & Tent Resort, Westport, WA
- Holiday Madness Week At Bustling Westport, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Discovering Sequim Part II - Lavender Soul
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- Discovering Sequim Part I - Lighthouse Loving
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey