When we moved into our RV the darling GPS naturally came with us but, as we very quickly found out, a GPS is simply not enough. Our handy little mobile home hits the road at ~42 feet long (~50 feet with the car towed in the back), a svelte 33,000 pounds of weight and rather limited turning capacity. So, knowing your route involves not only knowing the way, but also clearance (for tunnels), gradients, accessible gas stations and places to get out of trouble. Paul usually does the route-planning (see first paragraph), but over the past few months I’ve managed to make a marginal contribution and have become quite savvy with the various publications.
Here’s the best of the best:
- Good Sam’s RV Atlas - more than an atlas it maps campgrounds, truck routes and RV service centers
- Mountain Directory - a detailed description of mountain passes and steep grades specifically for RV’ers and truckers
- Good Sam’s Exit Now Directory - lists fuel, RV parks, truck stops, rest stops, hospitals, food and just about everything else available at each and every exit of the US interstate
So, for those looking to hit the open road, by all means bring the GPS, but don’t forget the good ‘ol books too.
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Friday SaturdayPartly Cloudy68°/43°Chance of Rain54°/37°Chance of Rain54°/37°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- The Journey
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness