“I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.” Josey Wales
I have to admit I’m a sucker for old Westerns. There’s something about ruggedly handsome men sporting well-worn stubble galloping across the desert in cowboy hats to save the day. These things speak to the hapless maiden in me. So, you can imagine my bliss when we discovered the hidden gem of Kanab.
Set in the red mesa terraces of southern Utah, it’s a small town with a long history of good ‘ol Western Movies. Seems like many of the classics came through here from Deadwood Coach in 1924 to Gunmoke in 1955 and the fabulous Outlaw Josey Wales in 1976. The cherry on the pudding is that they kept many of the original sets and you can visit them for free in “Little Hollywood“. It’s a small sign at the side of the road so if you’ve travelled the 5 mins through town and missed it, turn back and drive the main drag again. In the back-yard of the unassuming front hides the gems of many of a good movie.
So, you can walk the path of Clint Eastwood , peruse the set of Frank Sinatra and top the day by catching a $2 Western at the local Cinema in the PM. If you’re thoroughly in the mood you can even buy a cowboy hat at the Western store and explore the desert mesa in traditional getup.
So, what d’ya reckon, you ready for the ride?
Where Are We Today?Sam's Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Desert Hot Springs, CA Today Tuesday WednesdayClear54°/34°Clear63°/34°Partly Cloudy68°/36°
Love the Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- The Wheeling It Blog Has MOVED!!!!
- 2013 “Big 5″ RV Christmas Wish-List
- Thankful & Historic
- A Few More Dog-Friendly Hikes – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wonderfully Crazy Desert…
- Self-Medical Care Part III – Negotiating Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics With Cash Pay
- Self-Medical Care Part II – Self-Testing Links
- Self-Medical Care Part I – Why Do It?
- Spa, Spa, Spa….And RV Buddies! Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Our Top 5 Essential Boondocking Items
- Halloween Hairiness & More Putzing…Lone Pine, CA
- Putzing, Putzing, Putzing…And RV Sue!
- Boondocking Site Review – Volcanic Tablelands BLM, Bishop, CA
- $2 Gourmet Meals, Railroads & Some Apples – Bishop, CA
- Boondocking & Bumming In Bishop, CA