“I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.” Josey Wales
I have to admit I’m a sucker for old Westerns. There’s something about ruggedly handsome men sporting well-worn stubble galloping across the desert in cowboy hats to save the day. These things speak to the hapless maiden in me. So, you can imagine my bliss when we discovered the hidden gem of Kanab.
Set in the red mesa terraces of southern Utah, it’s a small town with a long history of good ‘ol Western Movies. Seems like many of the classics came through here from Deadwood Coach in 1924 to Gunmoke in 1955 and the fabulous Outlaw Josey Wales in 1976. The cherry on the pudding is that they kept many of the original sets and you can visit them for free in “Little Hollywood“. It’s a small sign at the side of the road so if you’ve travelled the 5 mins through town and missed it, turn back and drive the main drag again. In the back-yard of the unassuming front hides the gems of many of a good movie.
So, you can walk the path of Clint Eastwood , peruse the set of Frank Sinatra and top the day by catching a $2 Western at the local Cinema in the PM. If you’re thoroughly in the mood you can even buy a cowboy hat at the Western store and explore the desert mesa in traditional getup.
So, what d’ya reckon, you ready for the ride?
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Tuesday WednesdayPartly Cloudy82°/52°Fog79°/48°Partly Cloudy75°/46°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- TLC For "The Beast" in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing