This unassuming spot is small enough to spit across (barely 6 blocks all around) boasts just one store and a few gas stations, a single RV campground and more grasshoppers than grass, giving the totally surreal effect of walking through waves of green that magically sprout from your shoes as you cross the fields. And in between all the sleepy houses and the empty streets, in a little corner of no-mans land is one of the most surprising museums we’ve ever seen. Welcome to the Pioneer Auto Museum of Murdo, SD.
Established in 1954, this fabulous museum has over 300 vintage cars collected lovingly over many years by AJ ‘Dick’ Geisler. But, it’s not just cars. AJ was apparently a bit of an obsessive history buff and couldn’t stop with just autos. He collected paraphernalia, signs, phones, motorbikes, trucks, gas pumps, dentist equipment, apothecary bottles and just about anything he could lay his hands on from the 1890’s onward. The museum is actually a small town with ~30 buildings and has a fully stocked 1950’s grocery store, a 1900’s county jail, a schoolroom and so much more. It’s dog friendly too and you’re welcome to bring pooch to the show.
As they say, not at all what we expected, but what a fun surprise.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Family Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- 3,000,000 Thanks….And More To Come!
- Looost In Spaaaaace – Trona Pinnacles, CA
- A Cool Airstream Gal & A “Tippy” ?@#! Drive – Lone Pine, CA
- And Then There Were 2 1/4 – Bishop, CA
- Free Campsite Review – Glass Creek NFS Campground, Mammoth Lakes, CA
- Closer To The Sun – Mammoth Lakes, CA
- Dry As A Bone – Washoe Lake, NV
- The Call Of Hwy 395 & The Mountains
- An Early Christmas Present -> Our New MSH3012 PSW Inverter
- Tasty RV Eats -> Curried Roasted Cauliflower
Top Posts & Pages
- 3,000,000 Thanks....And More To Come!
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Looost In Spaaaaace - Trona Pinnacles, CA
- A Cool Airstream Gal & A "Tippy" ?@#! Drive - Lone Pine, CA
- About Us
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- The Journey
Where We’ve Been