Know your farmer, know your food
I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. Not the high-flying-restaurant type, but the gourmet-home wine-and-diner with ingredients that pop with flavour and nutrients that enhance my handsome frame (or so I like to think anyway). Travelling in an RV hasn’t changed any of that, and in fact it’s provided opportunities for locavoring (= buying local) which we didn’t have before.
One thing we’re particularly passionate about is grass-fed (pasture) meat. Most people these days have no connection at all with where their meat comes from and in general, given the conditions (CAFO’s) in which most meat is raised, it’s a type of blissful ignorance. Our grazing herds…bison, lamb, cows are all ruminants meant to eat grass. By eating grass these glorious creatures not only stay healthy and happy, but they contribute to building precious top-soil. It’s beyond organic….it’s true sustainable farming.
In Dakota Harvest Farm and farmer Bob we found soul-mates in this quest for the best. Bob raises 100% grass-fed Dorper lambs on his property just outside Sioux City. We spent the early afternoon at his farm seeing his sheep grazing in the open fields and talking about grass-fed farming, crazy USDA rules and raising healthy animals. The good news is the trend is growing. Bob’s sells locally at Farmer’s Markets and restaurants and can barely keep up with demand. The people who know, know it’s good.
So, if you’re in the area drop by and visit Bob at his farm. Or, find your next RV stop here: http://www.eatwild.com/. It’s well worth the time to know your farmer.
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Wednesday ThursdayClear81°/46°Clear81°/48°Clear84°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Nomad Liberation Day!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- Nomad Liberation Day!
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- TLC For "The Beast" in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts