Know your farmer, know your food
I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. Not the high-flying-restaurant type, but the gourmet-home wine-and-diner with ingredients that pop with flavour and nutrients that enhance my handsome frame (or so I like to think anyway). Travelling in an RV hasn’t changed any of that, and in fact it’s provided opportunities for locavoring (= buying local) which we didn’t have before.
One thing we’re particularly passionate about is grass-fed (pasture) meat. Most people these days have no connection at all with where their meat comes from and in general, given the conditions (CAFO’s) in which most meat is raised, it’s a type of blissful ignorance. Our grazing herds…bison, lamb, cows are all ruminants meant to eat grass. By eating grass these glorious creatures not only stay healthy and happy, but they contribute to building precious top-soil. It’s beyond organic….it’s true sustainable farming.
In Dakota Harvest Farm and farmer Bob we found soul-mates in this quest for the best. Bob raises 100% grass-fed Dorper lambs on his property just outside Sioux City. We spent the early afternoon at his farm seeing his sheep grazing in the open fields and talking about grass-fed farming, crazy USDA rules and raising healthy animals. The good news is the trend is growing. Bob’s sells locally at Farmer’s Markets and restaurants and can barely keep up with demand. The people who know, know it’s good.
So, if you’re in the area drop by and visit Bob at his farm. Or, find your next RV stop here: http://www.eatwild.com/. It’s well worth the time to know your farmer.
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Friday SaturdayPartly Cloudy68°/45°Chance of Rain54°/37°Partly Cloudy54°/37°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Windy Days & An Old Fort – Silver Springs, NV
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Windy Days & An Old Fort - Silver Springs, NV
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV