“After ascending and passing through a narrow strip of woodland, came suddenly into an open and bound less Prairie. This prospect So Sudden and entertaining that I forgot the object of my prosute and turned my attention to the Variety which presented themselves to my view” July 19th, 1804 Journal of William Clark
It must have been quite the view.
When I set foot on new ground I often have the passing fancy I’m the first person to do so, and I get transported back to what it might have been like for the early explorers doing exactly that. It’s been a few hundred years since Lewis and Clark walked these grounds, even longer since the Pottawatomie Indians were here and ~12,000 years since the glaciers retreated from the land and revealed the silted Loess Hills. It’s quite a thing when you think of what’s passed before you on that very spot.
These days, however, most of the native prairie-land is gone. Around the 1800′s most of the mid-west was wild prairie (grasses and forbs) maintained by grazing herds of Buffalo and natural cycles of fire and growth. Intensive farming and encroaching woodland destroyed all but 0.1% of the original grasses. What little remains is preserved in the State Parks and by volunteers.
As for me, I’ll imagine myself viewing the splendor of that first moment. It’s one of the perks of being a traveller.
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Wednesday ThursdayClear81°/46°Clear81°/48°Clear84°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Nomad Liberation Day!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
Top Posts & Pages
- Nomad Liberation Day!
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- 3 Simple Steps To Protect Your RV During "Downtime"
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- The ACA (aka ObamaCare) & Its Impact on FullTime RV Health Insurance