- Site Quality = 4.5/5
The sites here are nice. Very long, flat hard-gravel back-ins with picnic table, grill/fire-pit and nicely trimmed grass. Half of the sites are available with electric and there’s a nice spattering of shade trees. Good separation between campers as well.
- Facilities = 4/5
Very decent facilities here. There’s vault/flush toilets, showers and on-site water and dump station. Around the park there’s also lots of picnic sites and rest areas.
- Location = 3/5
This park is in a great natural location to explore the Loess Hills, but is a bit “out there” otherwise with mostly farmland around the hills. There’s 2,000 acres of natural habitat, hiking trails, a large lake for fishing and great views from the top of some of the hills. Nearest small town is Sidney, 6 miles north.
- Pet Friendliness = 5/5
Great, pet friendly park. Lots of space for pooch to roam and hike.
Overall Rating = 4.1
BONUS ALERT = Walk in the footsteps of Lewis & Clark and the Loess Hills
Summary: This turned out to be a great little stop-over for us on our way to Missouri. We’d heard from others that Iowa has lovely State Parks and this one confirmed it. It’s a beautiful setting, right smack in the Loess Hills and on the Lewis and Clark Historical Trail. It has a with a nice selection (7 miles) of hiking trails, some equestrian trails and even a fishing lake. The sites themselves were spacious and comfortable and had the bonus of electric hook-ups. However there’s not much else out here. So, a great little stop for exploring a corner of the Loess Hills, but probably not a long-term visit.
Extra Info: AT&T cellphones and Verizon wireless card worked (just barely!) here. Selection of reservable and electric sites. Central dump and potable water. Electric sites cost $16/night in summer, $11/night in off-season.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Desert Hot Springs, CA Today Monday TuesdayPartly Cloudy57°/36°Clear57°/34°Clear63°/34°
Love the Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- The Wheeling It Blog Has MOVED!!!!
- 2013 “Big 5″ RV Christmas Wish-List
- Thankful & Historic
- A Few More Dog-Friendly Hikes – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wonderfully Crazy Desert…
- Self-Medical Care Part III – Negotiating Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics With Cash Pay
- Self-Medical Care Part II – Self-Testing Links
- Self-Medical Care Part I – Why Do It?
- Spa, Spa, Spa….And RV Buddies! Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Our Top 5 Essential Boondocking Items
- Halloween Hairiness & More Putzing…Lone Pine, CA
- Putzing, Putzing, Putzing…And RV Sue!
- Boondocking Site Review – Volcanic Tablelands BLM, Bishop, CA
- $2 Gourmet Meals, Railroads & Some Apples – Bishop, CA
- Boondocking & Bumming In Bishop, CA