- Site Quality = 4.5/5
The sites here are nice. Very long, flat hard-gravel back-ins with picnic table, grill/fire-pit and nicely trimmed grass. Half of the sites are available with electric and there’s a nice spattering of shade trees. Good separation between campers as well.
- Facilities = 4/5
Very decent facilities here. There’s vault/flush toilets, showers and on-site water and dump station. Around the park there’s also lots of picnic sites and rest areas.
- Location = 3/5
This park is in a great natural location to explore the Loess Hills, but is a bit “out there” otherwise with mostly farmland around the hills. There’s 2,000 acres of natural habitat, hiking trails, a large lake for fishing and great views from the top of some of the hills. Nearest small town is Sidney, 6 miles north.
- Pet Friendliness = 5/5
Great, pet friendly park. Lots of space for pooch to roam and hike.
Overall Rating = 4.1
BONUS ALERT = Walk in the footsteps of Lewis & Clark and the Loess Hills
Summary: This turned out to be a great little stop-over for us on our way to Missouri. We’d heard from others that Iowa has lovely State Parks and this one confirmed it. It’s a beautiful setting, right smack in the Loess Hills and on the Lewis and Clark Historical Trail. It has a with a nice selection (7 miles) of hiking trails, some equestrian trails and even a fishing lake. The sites themselves were spacious and comfortable and had the bonus of electric hook-ups. However there’s not much else out here. So, a great little stop for exploring a corner of the Loess Hills, but probably not a long-term visit.
Extra Info: AT&T cellphones and Verizon wireless card worked (just barely!) here. Selection of reservable and electric sites. Central dump and potable water. Electric sites cost $16/night in summer, $11/night in off-season.
Where Are We Today?Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
Port Townsend, WA Today Saturday SundayFog68°/48°Fog70°/50°Fog75°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
- NF Campground Review – Kalaloch Beach, WA
- Squeeze Me And Yes, Please – Kalaloch, WA
- RV Park Review – American Sunset RV & Tent Resort, Westport, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- CP Campground Review - Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing