“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart” CS Lewis
You would think the recent salmonella egg scare has us running like mad chickens away from eggs. There’s certainly been enough scare-mongering in the news to take the happy cluck out of the average chick, but as with all things the devil is in the details. As self-proclaimed RV foodies we care a lot about our food-source and I’ve blogged about it several times in the past (here, here and here). Eggs are no exception, and the fact that mass-producers who pack chickens together in concentrated farms and feed them artificial food (grains) are producing tainted eggs is absolutely no surprise to me. You see, chickens, like all our farm animals are meant to have fresh air and access to forage grass, grubs and insects. These “pastured eggs” are far superior in nutrition (more omega-3′s, beta carotene and vitamin A, D and E) than anything you get in a regular market and we seek them like gold in our RV trips.
And that’s how I met up with Fran from EatWild. She raises true free-range eggs on The Old Homestead Farm in Missouri. Her chickens are outside all day, allowed to forage and not fed artificial foods. You can see the results in their dark, gorgeous yellow yolk and you can taste the difference. With these eggs I know I’m getting one of nature’s superfoods and best of all, I don’t need to worry about the big salmonella scare.
Know your farmer and know your food. You’ll never be disappointed.
Where Are We Today?Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
Port Townsend, WA Today Saturday SundayFog68°/48°Fog70°/50°Fog75°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
- NF Campground Review – Kalaloch Beach, WA
- Squeeze Me And Yes, Please – Kalaloch, WA
- RV Park Review – American Sunset RV & Tent Resort, Westport, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- CP Campground Review - Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- Discovering Sequim Part II - Lavender Soul
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- The Journey