“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart” CS Lewis
You would think the recent salmonella egg scare has us running like mad chickens away from eggs. There’s certainly been enough scare-mongering in the news to take the happy cluck out of the average chick, but as with all things the devil is in the details. As self-proclaimed RV foodies we care a lot about our food-source and I’ve blogged about it several times in the past (here, here and here). Eggs are no exception, and the fact that mass-producers who pack chickens together in concentrated farms and feed them artificial food (grains) are producing tainted eggs is absolutely no surprise to me. You see, chickens, like all our farm animals are meant to have fresh air and access to forage grass, grubs and insects. These “pastured eggs” are far superior in nutrition (more omega-3′s, beta carotene and vitamin A, D and E) than anything you get in a regular market and we seek them like gold in our RV trips.
And that’s how I met up with Fran from EatWild. She raises true free-range eggs on The Old Homestead Farm in Missouri. Her chickens are outside all day, allowed to forage and not fed artificial foods. You can see the results in their dark, gorgeous yellow yolk and you can taste the difference. With these eggs I know I’m getting one of nature’s superfoods and best of all, I don’t need to worry about the big salmonella scare.
Know your farmer and know your food. You’ll never be disappointed.
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Tuesday WednesdayPartly Cloudy82°/52°Fog79°/48°Partly Cloudy75°/46°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- TLC For "The Beast" in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- The Journey