A mint julep is not a product of a formula. It is a ceremony and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic; a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion.Lt. Simon Bolivar Buckner, 1937
Ahhh, Kentucky….land of bourbon and BBQ, fried chicken and the venerable Kentucky Derby. I feel a sudden impulse to wear large, floppy hats and sip Mint Juleps while giving out practical southern advice. After all, with our passing out of Illinois we’ve now officially entered the South and, as everyone knows, things are different here. A certain sense of ceremony and history about the place, even when it comes to drinking, as Lt Buckner so eloquently explained.
With our entrance into this new phase of our travels we also feel a change in the air. The very first stirrings of fall, a subtle changing of colors and a sniff of cooler nights. We drop our jacks at Kentucky Lake and admire the view. Instantly we decide to stay longer than planned to absorb the whole thing fully. After all, everyone takes their fine time in the South and, as they say down here, if something just dills your pickle, it should be worth stickin’ around for.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Desert Hot Springs, CA Today Monday TuesdayPartly Cloudy57°/36°Clear57°/34°Clear63°/34°
Love the Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- The Wheeling It Blog Has MOVED!!!!
- 2013 “Big 5″ RV Christmas Wish-List
- Thankful & Historic
- A Few More Dog-Friendly Hikes – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wonderfully Crazy Desert…
- Self-Medical Care Part III – Negotiating Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics With Cash Pay
- Self-Medical Care Part II – Self-Testing Links
- Self-Medical Care Part I – Why Do It?
- Spa, Spa, Spa….And RV Buddies! Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Our Top 5 Essential Boondocking Items
- Halloween Hairiness & More Putzing…Lone Pine, CA
- Putzing, Putzing, Putzing…And RV Sue!
- Boondocking Site Review – Volcanic Tablelands BLM, Bishop, CA
- $2 Gourmet Meals, Railroads & Some Apples – Bishop, CA
- Boondocking & Bumming In Bishop, CA