“There is nothing ugly; I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful.”
Shrooms can bring to mind a wide variety of thoughts from exclusive tastings of musky and odorous tuber melanosporum (French truffle) to psychedelic experiences of the fungal kind . As a politician might say, while I may or may not have participated in the latter activities in my youth, this story is more about finding the hidden beauty in small things.
As a photographer I always love the changing form of light and how it can alter a landscape. On bright days I seek the big views, on heavy evenings the sunset and on misty mornings I look to the small things. It often amazes me how the mere dimming of light can bring an almost luminous glow to everything underfoot. And so it was, one thick morning with the moisture of dawn baking off from a TN stream I suddenly found myself surrounded by mushrooms. The perfect combo of a week of rain followed by sun had coaxed these elusive fungi from the earth and created a bloom of beauty right at our footsteps.
It’s enough to make your average mushroom hunter wild with excitement, and quite an event it is. Mushrooms are actually the fruit of hidden fungal organisms and it takes just the right conditions to get them blooming. Amateur mycologists avidly seek the most elusive and tasty varieties keeping their locations a closely guarded secret. It’s a historic and noble pursuit, needing an experienced eye to distinguish the poisonous ones from the others. As a child I used to hunt in the Danish forest for shrooms and always had a good nose for the sport. I’m no longer an expert, but I still enjoy the wild and fanciful curves and colors of the many types. As they say, it’s very groovy, baby and I don’t need no psychotropics to see the beauty in that view.
Where Are We Today?Orcas Island, WA
Orcas Island, WA Today Sunday MondayPartly Cloudy72°/54°Fog70°/55°Clear73°/55°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
- We Sail, We Climb, We Conquer – Orcas Island, WA
- SP Campground Review – Deception Pass State Park, Whidbey Island, WA
- Whipping Through Whidbey Island, WA
- Harbor Campground Review – Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Orcas Island Explorations - 5 "Western Arm" Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts - Patos Island, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part II - Our Los Algodones Experience