Well folks we’ve made it to Colorado! We took our first steps late yesterday afternoon dropping our jacks in a beautiful forest valley just north of Pagosa Springs, releasing our feet onto the glorious green floor and refreshing our senses with the fabulous chill of the San Juan River running only 20 feet away.

First steps in the lush green of Colorado!

Morning mist in the valley

This is truly a special place. The Colorado Rockies blow me away every time I see them, and as we walked the river I was stunned by the towering beauty of the mountains around me. It’s amazing that a mere 80 miles of driving can take you from a semi-arid lake area to the lush green of a deep mountain forest. Yet here we are only a few hours apart in an environment so different we might as well be a world away.

Last year we spent six weeks right in the heart of the Rockies. This year we’ll be spending a month or so exploring the southern and southwestern reaches of the state. I have no doubt we’ll be just as enamoured. Colorado has a special vibe that speaks to the primal nature in all of us. It’s got the soul of a sweetheart with an outer fringe of the rough and wild. Just the way I like my mountains…and my men :)

The hills are calling, the streams are singing and we’re more than ready to answer their call. Bring it on, Colorado!

Afternoon by the mountains

The view 20 feet from our campsite at West Fork

22 Responses to First Steps in Colorado – San Juan Forest, CO

Can’t wait to read all about this area. We hope to get there next year. Enjoy!

2. Alain Morel says:

Thank you for taking the time to share so many sites review. Would it be possible in a future technical post to describe what product you are using to attach your car to your MH. Are you using a supplemental braking system like brake buddy for example? Did you modify the car yourself or hire someone to do the conversion? The model of MH and car that you have is exactly what we have in mind to buy for ourselves in the future which gave us a good idea what to expect from HR :)

Regards,

Alain

Hi Alain,

It’s a great idea for a post! I’ll give you the info here since
      it might take some time before I write about it.
      We use a Roadmaster Falcon all-terrain tow-bar
      and a US Gear Unified tow brake. We’ve been very
      happy with both. We had someone install the system for us
      in San Diego. The installer welded the plate under the car
      so you can’t really see it (he did a very nice job).
      For the braking system we liked the US Gear specifically because
      it’s so easy to use (nothing to set-up inside the car). I know some
      people travel without a braking system, but I think it’s essential.
      If I need to stop in an emergency I want to make sure there
      is not 4,000lbs of extra weight pushing me from behind.
      Hope that helps!

3. hobopals says:

I’m so excited that you’re now in Colorado. We spent a lot of time there when my husband and I went; not so much last year–plans changed. Our favorite part of the state is the San Juans in the southwest, but all of the mountains are beautiful. I can’t wait to read along! Happy Travels!

We’re excited too!! This is our first time in the San Juans and I must say we’re impressed. Gorgeous area!!

4. heyduke says:

Colorado one of my favorite haunts back when I was an avid backpacker… love the mountains… enjoy!

5. Ahhhh Colorado, we spent a week in the Bayfield area (just east of Durango) last year, Beautiful. We had hoped to get up their again this year, but it’s not in the cards, so we’ll just have to enjoy it through your travels. Enjoy.

6. Hey, guys – we’re back to good Internet coverage and are glad to be catching up with you. You have a real knack for finding lovely, out-of-the-way places that have special delight, so we are really itching to jump in and follow you. If you see a 10-year-old Itasca in your back yard, that might be us!

Hey we have the cellar full just waiting for you guys to show up! Would love to meet you on the road one day!

7. ooooh….can’t wait to follow you on your travels, we will be arriving in CO in September and spending some time here before we go to NM, just a reverse of your travels!

Yeah, looks like we’re doing exact reversals. Any chance we might meet up along the way?
      Hope to give you some cool ideas and will be travelling along w/ you on your blog too.

8. Mark S says:

looking forward to following along while you scout out new spots in Colorado. Evidently, you got out of NM just in time! Hope there’s something left by the time they get these fires out.

Goodness yes…I can’t believe all the fires that are burning right now. Frightening stuff.

9. It’s about time! OK guys, we command you to visit these places while you’re in the San Juans: Silverton, Ouray and Lake City. You will LOVE it!

And if you make your way to Northern CO, don’t forget to look us up.

Hope you enjoy the most beautiful state in the U.S. as much as we do.

Your wish is our command! We have Silverton and Ouray already on the list (will
      probably drop down from Ridgeway to see them) and I’ll have to add Lake City to it.
      Can’t wait!!
      Nna

10. We are headed back to Colorado, first time since 2000, and can’t wait. Your pictures make us want to leave now.

Oh excellent! Do let us know if our paths cross at any time.
      We’re always open to meeting folks on the road!

11. Mark C says:

We have followed your blog since your stay at Sea Rim Park in Texas. AFter we bought our motorhome we went there for 3 day trial run at boondocking. We are now on a 5 month trip from TExas to North Carolina now headed to Utah via Colorado. We are now on BLM land in the Gunnison National Forest about 80 feet from the Taylor River. Its nice spot but WAY to many ATV’s and dirt bikes making lots of dust. So we are scouting out some new areas today.
    Are you Boondocking or in a paid campground.

We have a small blog for our familiy , its not as nice as yours but if you want to check it out it is http://www.markandlauree.blogspot.com
    After we leave this area we will be headed I think in that direction so glad to hear you like the place so far.

So happy you guys got to Sea Rim! A great find I think!
      As for where we are now, with all the various fire-restrictions we’ve been
      seeing recently we decided to go ahead and take a paid campground.
      We’re in West Fork which is just lovely. There IS dispersed camping
      around, and I’ve seen a bunch of forest roads but we didn’t get the chance to
      explore specific spots. The ranger station
      in Pagosa Springs can probably help find a boondocking spot.
      Cool to discover your blog too!