A pristine campground with views of the Colorado River and National Monument in Fruita, CO in Western Colorado.
- Site Quality = 5/5
These are probably the most pristine sites I’ve seen in a state park. Perfectly flat, large, manicured sites with central concrete section (for support), beautiful “sitting areas” with fire-pit, picnic table and shelters, good separation and absolutely lovely, green grounds. There’s a selection of full hookup (50Amp/water/sewer) or electric (30Amp/water). Sites at the outer end 36-44 have the bonus of lake and stunning monument views
- Facilities = 4/5
Excellent facilities here. There are flush toilets, large showers (only ding is that they are pay only, $1 for 4 mins), and modern laundry (book-swap there too). Park also has several on-site lakes, a swim beach (indefinitely closed due to e-coli problems while we were there), boat ramp, picnic areas, fishing and trails. On-site dump station.
- Location = 5/5
Lovely location here. You are right next to lakes and the Colorado River as well as within sight of the gorgeous Colorado National Monument. Nearby Grand Junction has restaurants and all major shopping needs.
- Pet Friendliness = 4/5
Good doggie spot. On-site hiking trails and space to “play” by the river. Only dings are that the lake was closed to swimming while we were there, plus some of the trails were closed from damage and needed re-work. A short drive to McInnis Canyons BLM (just across the river) provides masses of additional pooch-friendly hiking. Poo bags provided on-site.
Overall Rating = 4.4
BONUS ALERT = Camp with stunning views of the Colorado National Monument & McInnis Canyons!
Summary: Well, this turned out to be soooo much nicer than we ever imagined. James M Robb SP actually offers 2 campgrounds in the area, but the one we chose was the Fruita section. The campground is set beautifully by a lake and the Colorado River and has stunning views of the Colorado National Monument in the background. The grounds themselves are more like a fancy RV resort than a state park with manicured grounds, trails, lakes, fishing and simply pristine sites (beautifully flat, large, well-kept pads with selection of full hook-up too!). Lots of green, modern facilities and the draw of the surrounding nature makes this a hidden gem. The only possibly dings I could give it is that the sites closest to the main road (12-19) have some road noise, the swim-beach was closed indefinitely due to e-coli problems and some trails were closed due to flood damage, but overall the campground is simply lovely. This place was miles better than the KOA we stayed at last year and we enjoyed it so much we extended our stay. No doubt when we come back this is where we’ll camp again.
Extra Info: Full Verizon signal on both smartphone and aircard. Sites cost $20/night for electric (30Amp/water), $24/night for full hook-up (50Amp/water/sewer). There is an extra daily park fee of $7/day (can be covered with the Colorado Annual Parks Pass). Over 57 sites, all reservable. On site dump station and laundry.
Where Are We Today?Orcas Island, WA
Orcas Island, WA Today Saturday SundayPartly Cloudy79°/54°Partly Cloudy75°/54°Partly Cloudy73°/54°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Whipping Through Whidbey Island, WA
- Harbor Campground Review – Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- The City Of Dreams – Port Townsend, WA
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- Whipping Through Whidbey Island, WA
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- Harbor Campground Review - Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- The City Of Dreams - Port Townsend, WA
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"