Lorsque je lève les yeux,
Je rencontre tes yeux
Et je me dis : “Mon Dieu,
C’est vraiment merveilleux,
Tant de bleu.”
Edith Piaf (Plus Bleu Que Tes Yeux, 1951)
When Edith Piaf crooned these words (which are sooooo much more romantic in French, don’t you know), she was losing herself completely in the deep blue of her lovers eyes.”As I raise my eyes, I meet yours.. My God, it’s truly marvellous, so much blue”.
I had very much the same feeling when I reached the Oregon coast this week, only here my partner was the ocean and my eyes were reflecting the great big blue of the sea beyond. It was a profound moment with a beach so vast and a sky so large they merged as one glassy picture of heavenly blue stretching to the horizon. We’d made it back to the Pacific after almost 2 years apart. Like lost lovers united we took off our shoes, ran into the chilly waves and revelled in the moment.
So here we are. The Oregon coast stretches 363 miles (584 km) from Washington to California. Due to a unique quirk of the state (specifically the Oregon Beach Bill) the beaches are 100% public, so there’s literally hundreds of miles of human and dog-gone paradise carved in lines of beach, sea cliffs and rock stacks. We’ll be spending most of September bonding with the coast and reporting back on our experiences along the way.
As it so happens we’ve had a few clouds come in since that first day on the sand (in more ways than one), but that’s a story for another day. In the meantime I leave you with pictures of blue and eyes lost to the horizon. C’est vraiment merveilleux, Tant de bleu.
P.S. Piaf sang several versions of this song, but I particularly love the duet she recorded with Charles Aznavour. Listen to it HERE.
Where Are We Today?Orcas Island, WA
Orcas Island, WA Today Saturday SundayPartly Cloudy72°/55°Clear72°/54°Fog70°/55°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
- We Sail, We Climb, We Conquer – Orcas Island, WA
- SP Campground Review – Deception Pass State Park, Whidbey Island, WA
- Whipping Through Whidbey Island, WA
- Harbor Campground Review – Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- The City Of Dreams – Port Townsend, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts - Patos Island, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part II - Our Los Algodones Experience
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing