A pretty lake Caravaning stop on our tour south

A few weeks ago I had a cunning plan…in fact a brilliant, one might even say genius plan. It was the scheme of a camping route, a journey of elegance and pure beauty carefully crafted along the back-roads and by-ways down south with the promise of fantastic drives, stunning vistas and…yes…even a secret absolutely-to-die-for boondocking spot.

But alas, all went awry with our little slide delay, I ended up flying to Mammoth instead of driving there and the best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men twas not to be.

Wonderful rock art at Petroglyphs Point in Lava Bed National Monument. These are thought to date from 4500-2500 years ago.

Or was it….

Turns out one delay encountered another. People showed up, or rather more specifically Alex and Ellen popped up (seems we just can’t seem to get rid of those folks), the weather, in a surprise move, co-operated and we decided the plans should be brought back to life. Only this time we were going to caravan the whole thing. Two big, happy 40+ foot “beasts” for a few weeks on the road in one big monster-fest. What could be cooler than that?

So we decided to make a go of it.

The route south…a brilliant plan indeed!

Since our little visit at Henderson’s we’ve been on a journey of sweet 2-lane back-roads down to Reno. We’ve driven through the southern dry forests of Oregon, the Medoc valley of Northern California, stopped at several lakes and ended up in a gorgeous State Park in Nevada. Along the way we even managed to discover the hidden gem of the Lava Beds National Monument, a huge park in the NE corner of California packed with more than 700 lava-caves, remnants of the Medoc war of 1872-1873 (“Captain Jacks Stronghold“) and one of the biggest concentrations of Indian Rock Art in North America at Petroglyph Point (who knew?).

And so far all is well. We still like each other (those sticky caravan buddies and us, that is), the boondocking spot WAS amazing and we’re well on our way to the scenic drive south on 395 in California. I’ve teased you with just a few shots of the drive, so in the next posts I’ll relieve the tension and give you details of where we actually stayed. If I’m feeling particularly generous I might even tell you about the boondocking spot. Well….errr, okay…I admit it, I’m a total push-over and will tell you all anyway. So, stay tuned. Secrets like this don’t get out everyday…

Alex & Paul relaxing in perfect weather by Upper Klamath Lakes

Our awesome, fabulistic, secret boondocking spot

Petroglyph Point in the Lava Beds National Monument. This rock was once an island in the sea.

The medicine flag at Captain Jack’s Stronghold

18 Responses to Back-Roads & Caravaning to The Sierras – NE California

You better upload your next real soon…I can’t stand the suspense!!!

2. Sue Malone says:

Nina, is it the least bit possible that Mo and I passed you yesterday on Highway 139 going over the mountain down to Susanville? We were in the Lexus but I am almost certain I saw Paul at the wheel of your rig. Glad to see that you enjoyed Lava Beds and Upper Klamath Lake, home country for us. Safe Travels

Oh it probably was!! Paul was driving and we did that exact route yesterday so most likely we DID cross roads! How fun is that!

3. You’ve been traveling in some glorious country. We’re all a-twitter waiting to read more. An d no, we don’t mean “Twitter!”

4. Daniel says:

I am a Florida “full time” RV’r and have travelled Hwy 395 several times. It’s absolutley my favorite. Be sure to visit Bodie (ghost town) and boondock at Tuttle Creek BLM Campground in Lone Pine, CA along the way. Looking forward to your travels.

Daniel, YES Lone Pine is one of our definite stops! Heard so much about it but never stayed so this is our chance at last. Can’t wait to explore the area around there.

5. Sandie says:

Sure am looking forward to more of the journey. Beautiful pictures.

6. alex peters says:

What’s for breakfast?

7. Daniel says:

Did I already tell you that I envy you? if not I am telling you now…as non residents we HAVE to leave after 6 months and that is what we are doing for the last 10 years: Summers RVing and winters at home.
    Just stored the rig in NC for the winter and are making our way back home through Toronto.
    Will be back to pick it from the place we left in Spring 2012 to explore new territories.
    Have a great winter hope one day to hook up with you both.

I REALLY enjoyed seeing the route you took this year in your rig. And yes, I’d love to meet up some day on the road!

8. Brent says:

Sounds awesome, can’t wait for the rest

9. […] year we met a lovely couple in Eugene and ended up caravaning with them (another thing I’d thought I’d never do), this past winter we joined up with some a […]

10. […] little adventure comes with cohorts too. By pre-arranged plan our good pals Alex and Ellen (our caravan buddies from last year) joined us on the drive and are staying the week here with us. Not only does this mean lots of […]

11. […] most direct route is via Hwy 97 and Klamath Falls which we’ve done twice before. It takes you by some interesting petroglyphs, through the Lava Beds National Monument & lovely Eagle Lake. However the road is on the bumpy […]