What a great capture! Photo Credit: Kathie Maxwell

One of the things that always amazes me about RVing is how social the whole thing is. Before we started full-timing I always imagined that once we got on the road we might have a tough time making friends, especially if we were boondocking. Once we got out there I realized that wasn’t the case at all and I wrote about this phenomenon last year in my 5 Ways to Create Community And Friendships On The Road. What I didn’t mention in that post was that the same thing happens while boondocking.

You may be out in the boonies…but you are not alone….

So, what’s your name handsome?

You may be out there by yourself, off in the wilds and happily running around like primal man, but believe it or not you meet people. This past week in Borrego Springs was a fabulous example of that. Not only were we in this wonderful, isolated spot but we made several friends through contacts on the blog (this post), met others who we found through their blogs (this post) and met even others that we just bumped into on the road. It’s actually one of the many, many reasons I love blogging -> your writing attracts people who think just like you and by a simple sharing of adventures and thoughts you create this wonderful sense of community right through the internet. How much cooler does it get than that?

Bob & Paul chattin’ by the fire

But outside of blogging the physical interactions are always the best. We met Kathie & Bob on the road hiking near our rig and were invited over to a wonderful evening of fireside chatting & snacks. Not only was it a great night (and we have plans to meet again when they come and workamp in San Diego), but Kathie took the best shot of the day, maybe even the best shot of the week, which so perfectly captured the moment (first shot above) that I just HAD to share it.

Meeting The Bayfield Bunch!!

Another great meeting was bumping into Al & Kelly from The Bayfield Bunch at the farmer’s market. It was actually Al’s wonderful pictures and easy, personable style of writing about The Slabs that got me hooked on his blog several years ago, and I’ve been an avid follower ever since (do go check it out!). Since I’d read the blog for so long meeting them in person almost felt like meeting an old friend. And indeed they were just as lovely, inviting & relaxed as their posts (plus they got superstar bonus points for giving me the title of  “youthful charm” in their blog  :) ). Lovely to meet you guys!

Just goes to show that RVers are a great bunch. But then, you knew that already didn’t you?

22 Responses to Meetin’ & Greetin’ & Bloggin’

1. On of the main reasons we are excited to be full time RVers is the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends who share our interests. So glad to read how easy it is. And, you are right, that is a great picture.

2. Robin says:

You are so right! The travelers we’ve met on our first year of full-timing are ALL so nice. Unfortunately, I have intense social anxiety and I feel quite exposed as we travel. So if my husband chats with you, but you don’t see much of me…it doesn’t mean I’m cold or rude, I’m just painfully shy. It’s also why you don’t see much about me on Ross’ blog. I’m sure there are others like me out there. Maybe I should start a special blog: RV’ing Tips for Introverts. ;)

Hey I would read that blog!! Actually interestingly enough technomadia (another blog I follow) wrote something about that:
      An Introvert’s Guide to Meeting People While On the Road
      I’m definitely an extrovert, but I try to be sensitive to folks who need space to themselves. Totally understand that!

• Robin says:

Oooh! Thanks for the link, Nina. I find that walking my dogs (and walking my cat) helps me break the ice with people. Chatting with other people about their own critters is another easy way to start a conversation (without talking about ME!).

Good point Robin. We do meet alot of folks thro’ our pets & our fur-babies are such an easy topic to talk about. Love the fact that you walk your cat too :)

3. You continue to charm (“youthful charm” is quite appropriate) in your blog as you do in person. I am humbled by your words about my photo. Thank you for the acknowledgement and for your wonderful company at the campfire. See you in San Diego. Kathie

4. Hear, hear! And it seems that every setting has its own social feel. Robin, I would read your blog! I don’t know that I’m socially anxious, but after a while visiting, although I’ve enjoyed it, I’m ready to retreat. I’m ready again the next day, but same deal.

We’ve met up with five “sets” of full-timers just since we left Florida in December.

Also, I came here to pick your blog about Anza Borrego and boondocking. Can’t talk now!

Roxanne

Oh you ducks would LOVE it here. There is easy boondocking near Peg Leg or down Rockhouse Canyon Road, but the whole of Anza Borrego SP also allows back-country camping so there are tons of spots for all tastes.
      I’ll be posting our full details soon…you’ll have to wait for it tho’….and yes I know I’m a tease :)

5. Kathie’s photo is fantastic…”our” old site btw! Boy, could a write a bunch about my social phobias. Friends kid about us “leaving in the middle of the night”…but love a few folks, a few days at a time!

6. Sue and Doug says:

great to meet and greet fellow rv’ers and bloggers alike!..I was told by someone that all those bloggers and rv’ers out there are strangers..you will never meet them so why bother reading and commenting?..and not all rv’ers have blogs..so don’t waste your time in front of the computer….needless to say I took that with a grain of salt and thought about where it came from and have continued doing what I love to do..read about all the adventures of all of you on the road..keep on writing and we will keep on reading!!

7. I sure can identify with Robin & will check out that link for sure. It was great to meet you at Christmas Circle Nina. All the best in San Diego…….

You are so right. We have met the nicest people in the last two years. Everyone is so relaxed, enjoying their life. Just about everyone we have met up with have remained very close friends. We even have been invited to weddings and anniversary parties from our RV friends. Such a wonderful way to live.

9. Sherry says:

This was a very interesting blog to read including the comments. Our blog has put us in touch with tons of people we have never met. I hope we will sometime be able to meet these wonderful people.

It is interesting that David is seen as the introvert and I the extrovert and yet it is really the opposite. He gets energy from being around lots of people. I get worn out and have to retreat. I think I offend people with this, well I know I do, I’ve been told. But I have to go back and refuel.

I’m sure you’ll meet people from the blog along the way. And totally understand the need to recharge. I can be an extrovert, but also a total loner at times.

10. […] ~5 miles from downtown San Diego and we’re hanging out for the day with Katie and Bob who we met boondocking out in Borrego Springs just a few months ago. Hanging with Kathie and Bob at their site in Silver […]

11. […] this past winter we joined up with some a group of young RVers in San Diego and reconnected with folks we’d met boondocking in the desert, and next month (Sept) we’ve made plans to re-meet with some RVing pals […]