Once a year “the beast” gets a full-service RV spa treatment. She gets washed, dried, caressed and waxed so that her owners can stand back in smug self-satisfaction and declare “Oooooooo, she’s so shiny!”. It’s a job I admit that we rarely look forward to (except the “ooooing” part), it always takes waay longer than expected, and…undoubtedly no matter what the weather forecast…it always bleedin’ rains the moment we’re done.
So, being experienced RV spa-treaters we checked the weather forecast EXTRA carefully this time. We had the girl scheduled for a wash at an external service (we can’t wash the way we usually like to at our current RV park) and delayed the date twice so that we would be absolutely and completely, without a shadow of a tingling of a smidgen of a doubt sure of perfectly good weather.
Finally the day came. A week of slightly cloudy but not-a-hint-of-rain perfectness. Our girl got a full body wash for $85 with Frank’s Mobile RV and Auto Service (619-341-5736 -> he does a thorough job in San Diego and I’m happy to recommend him) and then sped on home for her at-home waxing. Now every RVer out there has their favorite waxing products and asking which one to use is always guaranteed to produce at least a 10-page response on any RV forum. Our main requirement is that every product we use needs to be easy on-off (this gal don’t do no machine buffing), so these are what makes our list:
- RejeX = for Body waxing. This is actually a thin-film polymer rather than a wax which seems to make alot more sense for gel-coated RVs in my mind. We love the simple on-off and how it slicks the surface and consider it one of the best products out there.
- 303 Aerospace Protectant = for decals, rubber, weather-stripping, vinyl and tires. Originally developed for the aerospace industry this is a really cool super-UV protectant.
- RainX = for the windows. This stuff is awesome and saved us at least once in the mother of all thunderstorms in LA last year. The water beaded so quickly off the front windshield we didn’t even need to use the wipers!
- ProtectAll = For in-between jobs. We use this good ‘ol standby from Walmart for the rest of the year, boondocking (I’ll use it waterless) and everything in-between (even the toilet bowl get’s a layer!).
There are lots (and lots…and lots) of other products out there including waterless jobs like “The Solution” (which gets good reviews), but our staple stays with the 4 guys above. So off we went…huffing, and puffing, and rubbing ‘till our arms felt like lead balls. It was hard work and hard hours, but oh what a shine -> teflon- smooth, brilliant surfaces so very shiny even the reflections had a hard time sticking around.
We stepped back to admire our handiwork. Everything was perfect.
Well aaaalmost everything
The only slight tinge of a concern was ominously dark grey clouds gathering in the distance, and the only wee damper was those first drops of rain falling so very happily onto our newly waxed beauty. Darn stupid, useless &&&%%%**!! weather forecast. But like the Zen masters of waxing we are we do not take this personally. WE know how super-shiny “the beast” is underneath it all (they do say beauty is within n’est ce pas?), and NEXT year we’ll nail that weather forecast….without a doubt.
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Thursday FridayPartly Cloudy64°/45°Chance of Rain66°/41°Chance of Rain54°/37°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!