I’m always amazed at the power of community in RVing and how that expands through blogging. When we first spoke about our Cape Blanco job on the blog a few weeks ago, several commenters turned me onto Grant and Kathy from BirdingRVers, two experienced lighthouse hosts (and yes, bird lovers too! Oh, and Kathy is also a jewelry artist) who were volunteering in the area and scheduled to be at Cape Blanco in Aug. We’d never met them, but exchanged a few comments on their blog and said we looked forward to seeing them later in the summer.
And that was how we left it…until a few days ago..
The couple started reading our blog and last week when I wrote about Paul’s back injury Grant took pity on the poor boy and came back with a proposal…how about switching jobs for July? Grant and Kathy were scheduled to start as hosts here at Coquille River Lighthouse next week and suggested the smaller lighthouse would be an easier job for hubby’s back. Meanwhile they would be willing to stay another month at Cape Blanco while Paul heals. This would also allow Paul to continue his treatments locally.
What a fabulous and oh-so-generous idea!
Grant immediately jumped on the plan, calling up both park coordinators to start the process, and we followed-up by meeting the ranger & hosts here and taking the lighthouse tour to make sure Paul could make the climb to the tower. Four easy days later and everything is in place and OK’d by both parties.
So, thanks to the kindness of strangers and the awesome community of RVing we now have new jobs for July. Tomorrow we’ll move a grand total of 4 spots down the loop to our new campsite at Bullards Beach and then we’ll be lighthouse hosts at the cutest little lighthouse on the coast for a month before heading down to our next job at Cape Blanco in Aug.
A huge thanks to Kathy and Grant, and if any of you folks are going to be in the area, do look us up on your way through.
P.S. The old hobbler is still progressively improving. He actually did a limping 2/3 mile hike today and hauled a one ounce salad container to the bin. Yes, my lovely hubby is now the muscular version of Mr.Magoo.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Family Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Looost In Spaaaaace – Trona Pinnacles, CA
- A Cool Airstream Gal & A “Tippy” ?@#! Drive – Lone Pine, CA
- And Then There Were 2 1/4 – Bishop, CA
- Free Campsite Review – Glass Creek NFS Campground, Mammoth Lakes, CA
- Closer To The Sun – Mammoth Lakes, CA
- Dry As A Bone – Washoe Lake, NV
- The Call Of Hwy 395 & The Mountains
- An Early Christmas Present -> Our New MSH3012 PSW Inverter
- Tasty RV Eats -> Curried Roasted Cauliflower
- Repairs, Remodels & Reunions – Eugene, OR
Top Posts & Pages
- Looost In Spaaaaace - Trona Pinnacles, CA
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- A Cool Airstream Gal & A "Tippy" ?@#! Drive - Lone Pine, CA
- About Us
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part II - Our Los Algodones Experience