What a show to begin our 395 drive!!

After an outstanding (and very memorable) summer in Oregon we’ve finally crossed the border and started our trip south to our winter spots in the SW. Although we’re sad to leave our fav state, we’re excited to be engaging in the next step of our journey.

This year, as we did last year, we’re taking Hwy 395 that snakes scenically through the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I gushed about this drive when we did it last time. It’s just one of those drives you have to do at least once (twice, fifty?) times in your life and I have no doubt it’s going to be just as amazing this time around.

We simply love this place! Our spot at Washoe Lake SP

Late afternoon glory by the lake

We arrived at our first stop on Monday dropping our jacks at spacious and relaxing Washoe Lake State Park, NV which is just as enchanting as I remember it. We were greeted by chirping birds, a luscious deep aroma of sage-brush (man, I wish WordPress had scratch and sniff!), and 360-degree views of mountains framed by dramatic tufts of clouds whipped up into long sculptures in the sky.

We got out our chairs, raised a glass and sat down to the most spectacular sunset theatre I’ve seen in a long time -> fiery arms of orange, transforming the entire sky into a burning color-play, reddening and darkening to a deep burgundy before a final release to the night. Oh MAN! We were totally captivated. Even Polly was frozen, although that may have had something to do with the warren of furry rabbits bouncing seductively all over the landscape….either way ALL of us were completely enchanted by the scene.

We are definitely happy to be here, and if the start to this journey is any indication of the rest, then it’s gonna be a helluva fabulous trip…let the mountain magic begin!!

A double-exposure of the sun’s last fall

Reflections of red in the RV. Pretty dramatic stuff!

Shows of orange in the sky

Yellow glow in the sage-brush

37 Responses to On Highway 395 -> Let The Mountain Magic Begin!

1. Sue Malone says:

Yes, Nina, sagebrush, ans sunsets. Something the west side of Oregon is often missing. Not many thunderstorms either, and sometimes I miss those. Your photos today made me want to head for the high desert and that gorgeous 395. Gorgeous. Thanks for the park review as well, I pinned it for future refeence.

2. Brenda A. says:

I too wish we had scratch & sniff, or what I like to call “smell-o-vision”. Gorgeous photos; as always thanks for sharing. :)

3. Debby & Bill says:

We’re traveling down the 395 as I type, could easily spend the fall here!

Are you guys south of us or travelling north? If there’s a chance we’ll cross paths lets meet up! We’re planning on spending next 2-3 weeks here in the mountains near Mammoth Lakes watching the fall color change.

4. Karen Blaine says:

I have loved my visits to Oregon this year… one final post to go from there for me too. Oregon is fabulous as the is incredible diversity on the view around the next bend in the road… Love, Love, Love Oregon!!

5. Cherie - @Technomadia says:

Beautiful photos! Cheers to continued amazing adventures into the winter!

My favorite kind of photos…will have to try that drive someday…right now we are enjoying New Mexico…visiting some of your spots (thanks) and creating new ones as well as visiting old stand byes a truely under valued state…..

• earthdancerimages says:

Jil, make sure you visit the beautiful ghost town of Chloride NM! Very nice campground FHU for $20 and just beautiful. Google it !

Oh excellent! DO let me know if you discover any new gems!! We’ll be back in NM some day for sure!

What fabulous photos Nina! We are headed to Washoe tomorrow after having received our long-awaited antennae. Can’t wait to check out this park given your description. Great post! :)

What, no amp??? I’m gonna have to talk to that boy! But the antenna is a good start. Enjoy your time at Washoe and see you soon in the mountains!!

8. earthdancerimages says:

WoW! I guess Chuck and I will have to put that highway on our bucket list!
    Beautiful photographs!

9. Chuck says:

Where did you pickup 395? At 299/395 is a town, Alturus (Capitol of Modoc Co)that I spent some time in and a gorgeous small lake, called Blue Lake. A NFS lake and gorgeous. Lahonton Lake is a nice detour for fishing further south. Stayed at Washoe twice but from pix, it look improved!!! Great pictures, THANKS!!! Chuck n Grei m Hound Herd

We picked it up at Susanville, further south via the 139 so unfortunately missed that area. BUT we’ll probably do this drive again and are planning to go further north on the 395, so I’ll add this one to the list.

10. flyfishnevada says:

Just miles from where I grew up, Carson City, and you’ll drive about 20 minutes from my current home in Smith Valley. Consider taking Highway 208 18 miles south of MInden/Garnderville at Holbrook and then 338 in Smith Valley south to Bridgeport. It’s only about 20 minutes longer, but very scenic. Not to many services, but plenty of mountain views and the last 11 miles takes you along the East Walker River and the famous Miracle Mile below the dam of Bridgeport Reservoir. The trip from Holbrook Jct. to Bridgeport on 395 is pretty nice too.

Glad you’re enjoying my back yard. It is pretty and Fall is the best season by far.

Already over at June Lake so unfortunately missed this detour, but will add it to the driving list for next time!

Washoe Lake SP is lovely. I really like the first photo with the beautiful clouds in the sky. It looks so peaceful and calming there.

Wishing you two a helluva fabulous trip!!!

We felt really lucky to hit such a beautiful sunset our first night there. The area had high winds that morning so it whipped up the clouds into some great shapes!

12. Love that Highway 395! Have you been to Oh! Ridge? Just south of Lee Vining and overlooking June Lake. Oh! for certain, especially in late April when there is snow around.

We’re at Oh Ridge! right now in fact. Just arrived yesterday. We’ve been wanting to come ever since I saw your pics of the place, and we’re very happy we did. Lovely spot!

13. A big WOW ! those captures are the best I have seen. It is still a toss whether to take 395 or another way going down south, since Steve prefers not to drive the same highway twice :( . We were on a road trip (not with our rig) on this highway from Death Valley to CA in January and it was beautiful then but it looks gorgeous now with the Fall season.
    We’ll see what happens for we are still in WA.

Well if you’re going to CA then there’s really only 3 ways down -> 395, I-5 or 101 by the coast. I-5 is straight and horrible, but will get you there fast. 101 can be scenic at times and is my 2nd choice, but 395 definitely wins the prize. There’s so much to do here, you’ll never have the same experience twice!

• Agree on 395, I hope to win on the 395 route. I-5 and 101 is a big no for us since we lived in Central Valley, CA before. At the rate we are going we could be heading AZ first week of Nov. We will still be checking your referrals in Eugene :).

Aiii…Nov on 395 could be tricky. Many of the FS sites close end of Oct here (I think some private parks stay open), and the weather can get unpredictable. We were here riiiight at the end of Oct last year and got some very cold nights (a few down in the teens). You’ll just have to check the weather before you drive over.

14. My favorite So Cal road, Hwy 395 of course I live not far from where it begins here in the high desert. Lot of great stuff to see, Don’t forget to stop at Shat’s bakery and the beef jerky store in Bishop!

15. Joel and Rebecca says:

As always a perfectly written piece with to die for photos .I`ll bet you could make a junk yard look good.I had a few moments today,to sit and read as always inspired to get this place sold and get out of here.You guys make life seem soooo fun.Can`t wait to join ya.On the way down if you guys can check out Solvang ca Its near Santa Ynez .Nina being a dane and all you might enjoy it if anything google it cool town it`s off the 101 north of santa barbara theres a decent RV park there and a casino.Good Luck and Be Safe always Joel and Rebecca

Hope you get on the road soon!! I’ve read about Solvang and thought about a visit. Not sure it’ll be on our path down this year, but it’s definitely on “the list”. See ya on the road!

• Dan says:

Hi. I grew up near Solvang, and it’s more Danish than Denmark! I am going “on the road” next Spring, and I really enjoy your blog……I am in the process of setting mine up………Dan

16. Washoe Lake State Park says:

I just happened to come across your write up of Washoe Lake State Park. I am the Park Supervisor of Washoe Lake and am thrilled that you took the time to share your adventure and pictures of our wonderful park. It looks like you had a great time! Sorry I missed meeting you, but maybe I will see you next year.

Lovely to “meet” you on the blog and thanks for taking the time to comment! This park is a little hidden gem. I’m so happy we discovered it and I’ve no doubt we’ll be back. Great area!