Our boondocking spot lit by a "Sierra Wave" at sunset

Boondocking in the Alabama Hills, CA

It’s the last day of the year, a day that always inspires me to reflect upon the 12 months that have passed before. It’s hard to believe that this is the end of our 3rd year RVing. When we started this adventure we had no particular time limit or goals. Simply to jump in and see where the journey took us, and each year has been a revelation and an adventure. 2012 was our 3rd year fulltime RVing and it was completely different from the previous two.

Is this paradise or what? Hiking the summit at Virginia Lakes

Hiking our beloved Sierra Nevada Mountains

In some ways it was our most extreme year. We slowed waaaay down completing a mere 2,700 miles of total travel yet managing to fit in our longest EVER drive on one day (400 miles) as well as our shortest (28 miles). Early in the year we spent a longer-than-usual winter in San Diego for personal reasons that turned into heart-break (perhaps my darkest time RVing), but followed it with a summer in Oregon that was one of our best ever (a true highlight). Paul suffered a back injury that stopped our travels short, but opened up an unexpected opportunity to stay longer in a city we came to deeply love.

Now that's natural beauty!

Perfection of natural beauty at the Salton Sea, CA

In other ways it was our simplest year. We stayed completely West indulging ourselves in longer stays at our most favorite places:

Half of the serpent stretches past our car

Cool metal art in Borrego Springs, CA

The stunning Bandon sea stacks

The stunning sea stacks in Bandon, OR

There's nothing quite like a Cape Blanco sunset

In the glow of a glorious Cape Blanco, OR sunset

Paul poses by the old schoolhouse in Bodie

Paul poses by the old schoolhouse in the ghost town of Bodie, CA

Yours truly in the famous Mobius Arch

Yours truly in the Alabama Hills, CA

C-20121225 Sunset (37) (JPG)

End of the year at San Diego, CA

Welcome to the deep blue!

Welcome to the deep blue! Crater Lake, OR

The volunteer couple in the lighthouse tower

The volunteer couple in the lighthouse tower

And in yet other ways it was our most social year. For the first time ever, we picked up workamping jobs as Lighthouse Hosts on the Oregon Coast (a month at Coquille River and another at Cape Blanco) that we enjoyed so much we signed up again for 2013, plus we made and met endless friends and bloggers along the way.

As usual I’ve kept a log of all our travels and blog posts at each spot in the “Journey” section of the blog so you can click and enjoy them all there. Or just click the following:

Our 2012 Travel Map

Our 2012 Travel Map

And what’s going to happen in 2013? Every year is an open book for us. As long as our investing holds true and the budget follows we continue to follow our RV dreams. So far our plans have held so we’ll enter our 4th year of RVing with open minds and the certainty of many new adventures. I’m not the type to make resolutions as such. I try to live my life daily to the fullest and follow the doggie-kittie approach to happiness as much as I can (an inner furry goal, if you will), so with that in mind I wish you a wonderful end to 2012 and a fabulous start to New Year!

61 Responses to Year 3 FullTime RVing – 2,700 Miles & A Western Adventure

1. Russ Krecklow says:

Happy New Year to you guys, and thanks for the great recap of your travels. You always find the most interesting places, and make them look and sound even better.

Thanks Russ! There’s no doubt we’ll be back (again) in Eugene in 2013 so I’ll look you guys up.
      NIna

2. Lee and Shelia says:

Well as a new follower I want to thank you for sharing. We ALMOST met up in Oregon and perhaps we will some day. As you know we are Motor Homeless for now. Hope to get another one soon it will be MUCH smaller but it will still travel and see this great country. Our big plan for this up and coming summer is to visit our son in Germany for a month. He is stationed at Ramstein AFB and then do a 14 day “Old Buzzards” bus tour of London, Paris, Rome and points in between. Yes we will keep up with the Adventures of Paul and Nina and the 12 Paws. Thanks again for allowing us to share…… Safe Travels and Enjoy 2013…… Lee and Shelia….

So sorry we missed you guys on the coast. Gotta plan that better next time :) ENJOY your trip to Germany. I used to do business in S.Germany some years ago and came to really love the region. Can’t go wrong with Paris & Rome either I say!

3. Murlene Anderson says:

Imagine this…yesterday we were at a Wildlife area near Chattanooga, TN where we met a couple from GA. The word “motorhome” was mentioned and we were off on a great conversation. We told them we read several blogs about motorhoming as we plan to do it soon ourselves. WELL, guess who’s name came up? YOU and Paul!! They follow your blog, too. Loretta and Henry and will go fulltime in April and they have gained enormous insight into this from you. Now they are sharing with us! Wonderful folks!!
    Our house goes on the market Wednesday and we hope to be on the road Thursday. (Some imagination, huh?)
    Happy New Year and may God richly bless you.
    Murlene and Joe

Oh man I LOVE those kind of stories! I am so happy to inspire others who are travelling this lifestyle! Brings me no end of joy! CONGRATS on getting on the road. Here’s hoping you have many adventures before you.
      NINa

4. Deas Nealy says:

We have very much enjoyed being able to follow your travels. We are planning our adventure this Spring. You guys have been an inspiration and hopefully a great resource for our future trip. Happy New Year,

Deas and Jennifer Nealy (Jake, Nikki and Shorty our dogs – Annie the kitty)

Thanks so much! Happy to be an inspiration. Do let me know if you stop by any of our old haunts and enjoy the stay.

5. Steve and I wishes you and Paul continued good health, months of fun travels and heaps of RV information and insights to share.
    Cheers and to more adventures ahead. Happy New Year!

6. You are such an inspiration. I so enjoy your blog. I have learned so much from reading your blog and so appreciate all the wealth of information. We are starting our RV adventure sometime in January and I use your blog to check out places to visit, stay, etc. Hope you and Paul have a wonderful 2013. Who knows, perhaps, we’ll meet up one day.

Congrats on your upcoming fulltiming! How exciting! Do stay in touch and let me know if we’re ever close.
      NIna

7. Have enjoyed following your travels and look forward to more…best for the new year

We wish you all the very best in 2013 no matter where the road may take you….

9. Happy New Year! I just LOVE this post, with all the hyperlinks! It’s a fantastic resource. You save everyone so much research time. You make it so easy for the rest of us to just go and enjoy these wonderful places. A great big Thank You! Cheers! –Linda

10. And the serendipity is, you haven’t even scratched the surface!
    Box Canyon Mark

11. rjrvtravels says:

JoAnne and I wish you both a new year filled with fun and adventure. Thanks for sharing your journey and Safe Travels!

Happy New Year!

12. Sherry says:

I second Bear Tracks. The links are wonderful and a lot of trouble I know so thank you so much. Hope 2013 sees all your troubles behind you…and us to for that matter. I’m ready to move on for sure.

13. Steve says:

Happy New Years from the hounds and I. It’s been great following your travels and look forward to starting my own RV living soon.

14. RVingFT says:

Thank you for making time to blog about your travels and to share your FANTABULOUS photos with us. IMHO the sunset silhoutte photo is THE EPITOME of Wheeling It and what your travels encompas:) Happy New Year!

I have to admit that sunset shot is one of my favorites of the year too! It was an amazingly lucky capture.

15. Kevin and I wish you many happy travel days ahead. Thank you for the insights into fulltime RVing. We plan to retire to fulltime RVing Dec 2014.

16. geogypsy2u says:

It’s been a fun and testing year for many. Let’s look for 2013 to bring our hearts desires. Happy New Year!

17. wendy@wendy-morrison.com says:

Thanks very much for the invite! We’ll bring chips and New Mexico salsa and anything else you would like. Just let us know. Wendy

18. lynne says:

Happy New Year!….Thanks for your wonderful blog.
    I loved the picture of the Salton Sea!

19. Gunta says:

Happy trails for the coming year! I look forward to maybe meeting you guys when you return to my favorite hangout near the Coquille River Lighthouse… ;)

20. Bob Martel says:

Looks like a picture perfect year! I hope you two have an even better year in 2013. :-)

What a year you both have had! We are so thankful to have been a part of it and look forward to spending a little time together in 2013. Fabulous post Nina. Happy New Year! :)

We’ve LOVED having you as part of our journey in 2012. Definitely looking forward to spending more time together.

• LuAnn says:

I think Terry is finally on the mend, although not back to 100% and I have been fortunate so far not to get his crud (fingers crossed). We would love to see the two of you before you leave SD so we will be in touch to coordinate.

22. Smack 2020 says:

It was nice meeting you both yesterday. I wish we had more time to sit and talk with you and pick your brain, but we are just on vacation, which means hurry, hurry to our next adventure. We will start our full time adventure next year, wow that feels good to say next year(late next year, but still next year).

Thanks for your blog and a Happy New Years from Scott and Norma.

I’m really glad you guys took the time to stop by and say “hi” even if it was short and sweet. Hope you have many great travels along the way and GOOD LUCK with the fulltiming plans. I think you guys are gonna love it.

23. placestheygo says:

This is an amazing life style. It just keeps getting better.

We want to thank you for turning us on to boondocking in Anza Borrego. We can’t get into the state park until Jan 2. So we decided to spend two nights boondocking. We are near your old spot. This is so awesome that we thought we would return for a few days after our park campground stay. With no solar and an electric refrig, we won
    ‘t stay too long. But temps are low enough that things are fine by running the generator twice a day for awhile. The quiet and peaceful and view are beyond words.

Thanks again!
    Happy New Year!

24. Tom says:

I have enjoyed reading your blog last year. I hope you have Sunny days ahead. Happy New Year!

25. Sue says:

Thanks for your “year in review” and for the insights and friendship you’ve all shared with us. We wish you an even better 4th year, troubles in the rear view mirror and only blue skies through the windshield. Happy New Year…..

26. Sheila says:

Happy New Year Nina, Paul and all on board! May 2013 bring you both wonderful adventures and tremendous happiness! Safe travels! I love the sunset photo with Paul – gorgeous!

27. Bob says:

Happy New Year to you all.
    It seems surprising that it’s been three years. This is how long we’ve been in Vienna, although that will come to a close soon. I’ve enjoyed seeing the sights through your eyes (well…. lens)
    Happy Trails.

28. Thinking of you from Lake Cahuilla. Kathie & Bob

29. Congrats on three wonderful years and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :-)

30. […] For those interested the 2011 review is here and the 2010 review is here. This marks the end of our 3rd year living the full time RV lifestyle and all I can say is bring on year number 4! OK, lets get right […]

31. Greg (Smitty) & Deb says:

Looking forward to dropping in on your blog in 2013. Fun, informative, great pics, and you and Paul live a life that is a good example for others… Plan for the future, but live for today…

Keep it up, good health, and have fun…

Greg (Smitty) & Debbie

32. rommel says:

It was very nice following you, Nina. Three years, wow. Three years of endless nature wandering. That’s envy inducing. I think the one I remember most is the story of Paul’s injury ending up to volunteering. That was so cool to know. Ow, Thanks again for directing me to Ocean Beach.