Afternoon stroll on Del Mar beach w/ buddies

Afternoon stroll on Del Mar beach w/ buddies

Well we’re finally leaving the big city. It’s been a whirlwind of a month here in San Diego and I have to admit I’m ready to get back out in the boonies. I really do love this city, but I find myself picking up in pace here…getting just a tad more busy…a tad more frantic…a tad more stressed. It’s nothing really extreme, just a sense of the city vibe and crazy traffic seeping into my everyday, and after a month of it I’m ready to ease out and back into a slower synch with nature.

But I’ll grant that it’s not all the city’s fault either. We really packed in the activities here starting with meet-ups with RV friends, dentals for the cats (believe it or not we managed to slip away with ZERO extractions this time), an impromptu visit from my Danish cousin, local buddies, Christmas celebrations, New Year party, remodelling our valences, doc visits and so on…I mean phew! Our list of stuff to do was loooong and we managed most of it, but 4 weeks ain’t a long time when you come down to it.

My cousin Christina poses by Torrey Pines

My cousin Christina poses by Torrey Pines

And I can’t deny the fun stuff either. Beach-time on the beautiful coast, bike rides in the bay, kayaking with seals in the water, sightseeing, gorgeous sunsets and playing with tools. On the latter note Paul has actually become quite the January handyman, getting into various small RV projects and even changing the brake-pads on our CRV…all with the help of some friends.

And that brings me the best part of all. Meeting folks, spending time with other RVers and helping each other along the way. As we ease into our 4th year fulltiming we are starting to create a rather solid circle of RV friends. I really never expected to find such a strong sense of community when we started this journey and it’s been one of the best surprises of our entire experience. RVing is fun, but RVing with friends is even better.

But alas the itch to move is here. So we say goodbye (for now) to our buddies, farewell to the city and we’re off to the boonies. We’ll see ya’all on the other side….

Time w/ doggie on the beach...perfection!

Time w/ doggie on the beach…perfection!

Paul changes our brake pads w/ help from our buddy Tom

Paul changes our brake pads w/ help from our buddy Tom

Our last, great San Diego sunset

Our last, great San Diego sunset

Drilling w/ help from our RV buddy Dave

Drilling & fiddling w/ help from our RV buddy Dave

Afternoon glow in Torrey Pines

Afternoon glow in Torrey Pines

Beach beauty

Beach beauty

38 Responses to And So We Say Goodbye To The Big City…Farewell San Diego, CA

1. Donna K says:

You’ve certainly had some fun times in the “big city” and surrounding areas. Lots of memories! Travel safe and have fun in Q.

2. Sue says:

Nina and Paul, (of course, I’m including the sweet Miss Polly) I have to say we’ll really miss you and you’re wonderful welcoming friendship when we part ways and head back home. We never expected to meet anyone on our excellent adventure, much less make good friends. I sincerely hope our paths cross again. Sue, Dave, Lewis and Sasha

It was WONDERFUL to meet you guys too (and the doggies of course)…I’m going to miss you all. See you soon in Q I hope.

3. Ya know, it was around year 3 that we started connecting with other fellow RVers. And the community makes all the difference!

Can’t wait until we’re in the same vicinity as you guys. It seems we are long overdue for an in person meet-up.

Enjoy the Q!

Yeah, we’re definitely overdue for a meet-up. Your gathering in FL looks so very, very inviting. Wish we could’ve been there.

4. Brenda says:

Nina and Paul I so much enjoy reading about all your repairs and remodels. San Diego is a great spot but like you said it is a big city. For boon-docking have you ever tried Lake Martinez near Yuma? We found that it was a nice spot. we were there in April of last yr. We are at home now in Arizona for the winter. Not sure if we are going to hit the road again for a while. we went 12K miles from May to Oct. I think we tried to do too much in such a shot time. Oh Happy New Year to you both.

I think you mean Mittry Lake? We haven’t actually boondocked there, but it was one of the areas I researched last year when we came to Yuma. Definitely on our “list” of spots.

• lv2bgoing says:

No Lake Martinez it just north of Yuma. Here are the directions:
      Exit I-8 at Exit 11 and go North on S. Fortuna Ave. approx. 2 miles, then right on US-95. Follow US-95 approx. 13 miles and turn left onto the Martinez Lake Rd. — FROM WEST: Exit I-8 at Exit 2 and go East on US-95 approx. 29 miles and turn left onto Martinez Lake Rd. — BOTH: Follow Martinez Lake Rd. approx. 10.5 miles and turn right onto Red Cloud Mine Rd. (watch for sign) for approx. 2.5 miles. Stay to left, as road changes name to Snipe Rd for a short distance. Turn (stay) left onto Egret Rd. to campground.

5. Now that we are back in San Diego, you are leaving! We’ll catch up one of these days. In one of the photos, it sure looks like Paul and RV buddy Dave are creating a space/bracket for a new TV. Very similar to what Bob has been working on. Let’s compare notes when we meet again. Safe travels. Kathie & Bob

I know…we missed each other by one day exactly. Sorry we didn’t hook up this time, but hopefully we’ll see you again down the line!

6. Russ Krecklow says:

Well, onward to your next adventures! You’ve had a good time there in San Diego, but you’ll be back (I betcha!) Enjoy the fun ahead! Thanks for sharing.

7. Russ Krecklow says:

I think your timing is excellent on this move. Just read where they are bracing for coming cold there in San Diego. I think it’s finally warmed up a bit in Q from what I’ve heard. Enjoy and be warm!

I’m not sure we’re really much more protected here in Yuma, but it’s only supposed to last the week-end so we should survive!

8. Travel safe and hope we meet up in Q.

Definitely see ya in Q. We’re planning to hang around Dome Rock somewhere. You are MOST welcome to join our circle.

I know exactly what you mean re:RV community….one would not expect it when we are as mobile as we are…but in many ways it works in our favor as we have to make decisions quickly about the people we meet….C U at Q…

10. Bob Nuttmann says:

You are leaving already. We are out in the boonies east of San Diego 100 miles with six other coaches. We are in El Centro and then headed for the real boonies in Ajo. On to Tucson and to visiting some great places in that area. Wave if you are passing Rio Bend going east on I 8.

I think I saw you guys as we drove past…are you staying at the LTVA near the hot springs there? Looks like we’re on a similar trajectory this winter. We’re headed to Q, but will then probably turn East towards Ajo and so forth. Maybe we’ll see ya on the road!

11. Lee and Shelia says:

Safe Travels to 4 Feet and 12 Paws..
    We go to Iowa the end of March to pick up our View Profile 24G so we will be RV’ers again…… Maybe we will run into you 5 sometime this fall or late summer after Europe (for us.)

12. Luke Alexander says:

Hey,
    We are in Quartzsite. The whole IRV2 Monaco group (25 rigs) will be boondocking just outside Quartzsite Jan 18-28, just in time for the Big Tent. We need another Monaco rig, so come on over. Modifications, maintenance, campfires and wine in the desert.

Love to see you guys,
    Luke

Hey Luke!
      I’m on the thread and definitely coming to see you guys. We might camp out at Dome Rock, but will head on over for happy hour one of our days there.

13. Gunta says:

Safe and happy trails on your next trip!

14. Bob says:

That Paul is one handy guy. You know, savvy investor, changer of brake pads.
    Mucking about inside the RV (I did some remodelling as well) was to me, half the fun of owning one.
    Safe travels.

15. Time to move on can so relate. We always find it hard to spend time in one area especially large cities. Nice to visit but time to keep moving. Travel safe.

16. bjdewell says:

I agree completely – I’ve been in San Diego since Christmas Eve and my planned week-long stay has extended to three weeks. I’m missing the desert and the slower living… and finding the stores and restaurants just TOO convenient! Living in a city near all the stores brings back the shopping gene that stays buried in the desert. Thank goodness I don’t have room for much!

Oh I totally agree. This past month my shopping bug was creeping back up too…just waaay too convenient in San Diego. Happy to be back out in the boonies again. stay warm this week-end!

I’m exhausted just reading about everything you crammed into a month. Enjoy your time in Q and hope to see you in AZ this next month.

18. Joyce Snyder says:

Hello! Just stumbled upon your site while looking for reviews of Convict Lake. We are RVers but not full-timers. Kinda wish we were after seeing all the comments on here! I’m going to be watching this. Thank you!
    Joyce Snyder
    Oceanside, CA

Happy to have ya along for the ride! We LOVE Convict Lake…gorgeous spot with lots of excellent hiking.