It’s a good thing I posted we were leaving yesterday since (obviously) everything you read on the internet is always true.
Last night the wind kicked up, the temps dropped and voilà…miracles of miracles the little biting bastards were gone. It was like a whole new day dawned on a whole new place. Never in my RVing lifetime have I ever been so happy to see the wind. The absence of pesky little bugs and the forecast of 40 mph winds on the roads up north grounded us for another day in paradise. And what a welcome delay it was. We walked the trails, basked in the sun, sat on our front porch (I kid you not)!
I even managed a close encounter, and not of the planned kind. Polly and I were happily lounging on the north trail lost in the beauty of sea, white sand views and blue skies when suddenly doggie lets loose a blood-curdling howl. I turn around to see a 3,000 lb Bison with horns not 10 feet away with 5 other of his friendly mates right behind him.
I give Polly the emergency “back” command (a command I taught her specifically for dire emergencies) and walk slowly away. As I was backing away I imagined the appalling flash of headlines -> “Dumb tourist rammed by Bison…..Subsequently consumed by gnats…Identification by dental records lead to Mexico…Link to Cartel suspected….” Oh, the horror has no end. Had I been more photographically-inclined I might even have landed the Bison-picture of the century, but thankfully I was not that stupid.
Yet another Nina disaster averted….Phew!
It’s been a welcome extra day and has given us a new appreciation for this wonderful place. Without the gnats this truly is a paradise island in the salten sea, but tomorrow we WILL move on….really we will…
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Thursday FridayPartly Cloudy64°/45°Chance of Rain68°/41°Chance of Rain54°/32°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing