What a sunset!! Sheer perfection at Cape Blanco

What a sunset!! Sheer perfection at Cape Blanco

I can’t believe it’s been 5 days since I last posted. There’s a truth to the saying that time flies when you’re having fun, especially when you’re in magical spots such as Cape Blanco. Between our multi-daily hikes, spectacular views & lighthouse hosting we really haven’t felt the need to go or do anything else. This place is all-encompassing & all-providing for both the spirit and the soul. Feel the need to renew and regenerate? Just spend a month in this wild and wonderful place and I guarantee you’ll be filled to the brim.

Some beautiful fire dancing from Cherie

Circles of beautiful fire dancing from Cherie. She is quite the expert.

Besides, people have been coming our way so our social circle is right on-site! Just this past week Chris & Cherie had several buddies in camp which led to a relaxed evening of chatting following by a total treat -> fire dancing! I’ve only ever seen fire dancing a few times (mostly in Hawaii), but never in such an intimate and close setting…and I can tell you it is something else. Sweeping curves and swerves of light, moving & spiraling to music with the rumbling rush of fire in the background. It is beautiful and it is MES-mer-ising! My photos don’t do it justice, being more of an artistic interpretation (dances with fire lens?), but I like to think I caught a small sense of the fiery atmosphere that night. WOW!

A couple silhouettes the clouds

A couple silhouettes the clouds

Finally...a pic of the Nealy's!

Finally…a pic of the Nealy’s!

Cape Blanco beams through the light mist

Cape Blanco beams through the light mist

Nature has also provided some fire of its own. This month we’ve had some of the most spectacular weather I’ve ever seen on the Cape. Between days of mist & wind we’ve been given perfectly gorgeous sunshine and fine sunsets. We took advantage of just such an evening a few days ago, once again with Chris & Cherie, hiking out to an isolated viewpoint for some wine, snacks and free sunset theatre. It was yet another amazing evening with nothing but nature’s light, the wild cliffs and the lonely beam of Cape Blanco lighthouse in the mist. Paul & Polly relaxed by the picnic table while I got to take a bunch of cool pics with my new “models”. Ah yes, talk about food for the camera and the soul!

Oh and did I mention the Nealy’s are back in town? And finally, this time I did get a pic of them…at least with one of their 3 dogs. We’re planning a few more days together and possibly even a big smoke cook-out. What can I say, we’re just social butterflies…

But with all this gorgeousness perhaps you’d like to join us? Virtually that is. Chris & Cherie just did a great write-up of their lighthouse hosting experience and have decided to top it off with a real-time **live** chat & video tour of Cape Blanco Lighthouse at 4pm this Saturday…and we’ll be there too! The foursome of Technomadia/WheelingIt will be together on video for the first time ever and who knows what craziness we might get up to? If you tune in, you might just find out :)

Cherie snaps a shot in the light

Cherie snaps a shot in a ray of light

Last light on the cliffs

Last light on the cliffs

Another pretty sunset

Another pretty sunset

Come into my fire ring!

Come into my fire ring!

Chris dances with a fire-wand

Chris dances with a fire-wand

Pretty colors in the clouds

Pretty colors in the clouds

40 Responses to Fiery Friends & Fine Sunsets (Plus A Special Announcement!)

1. Wow, that sounds like fun, fire dancing and a live chat too!

2. Beautiful pictures! I am so envious! Maybe someday???

3. placestheygo says:

Thanks for more amazing photos! Sounds like a wonderful time with lots of friends:)

4. mnwool says:

You have some great and award winning photos!

5. What an adventure. Love the fire dancing photos, but I don’t think I would ever try it.

6. Sherry says:

You are having such a great time in such a beautiful place. I’m ready to sign up. I’ve never even been to Oregon and I can’t wait to get there.

7. Amanda says:

Awesome! I love the fire dancing photos. That sounds like a pretty amazing show you were treated to. I wish we had more bandwidth so we could watch the live chat & tour on Saturday :( Have fun!

Yeah, we don’t watch too much live streaming for the same reason. Cherie & Chris archived the chat, so if you get to a spot w/ a good connection you can see it later.

great photos and a very wonderful posting……sorry we don’t have enuf bandwidth to watch the tour either….but then I think we had a live one when we were there…

9. MarciaGB says:

Live chat sounds great! We saw fire dancing on the Big Island a few years ago. It is awesome. Thanks for giving us a taste of your wonderful life on the OR coast.

10. Sounds like great fun! Love the photos!

11. Terry M in S FLA says:

As a fellow photographer, I have to say that while all of your photo’s are great, your first photo in this post is superb! Bravo!

Thanks so much. The first one was a double-exposure (2 shots w/ 2 different exposures combined) that worked out just perfectly. It was a ton of fun to create.

12. Hanna says:

The Sunset Picture – Wauw!!!

13. Else ireland says:

How we enjoyed seeing your MAGIC spot. Love the way you guys are so in the moment. Living every day to the fullest. SHINE ON! Else and Kim.

Thanks so much for coming down to visit us! It was lovely to see you. Kim’s chocolate is already gone (yum, yum). We will catch up again next year, no doubt!

14. Charlotte says:

Thanks for the great photos again. Planning our trip to the west coast for next year and we’re looking forward to seeing that area. Wanted to let ya’ll know that after 2 months of not being happy with our Sprint Hotspot, we have switched to the service you use and were so kind to share with us newbys. Question, have you ever run over the data allowance? I really think this is the answer to our low and slow connectivity. Just got it today and already like it.
    Thanks again!

No, we’ve not run over the 20GB limit yet. You can check your usage on the Millenicom acct page. It’s updated every Monday. If you’re seeing slow connectivity it may be due to tower overload, especially if your signal is still strong. If too many people are logged on in your area, it can really slow things down. Nina

15. Lacombe, Serge says:

I look at your photos… and their wonderful… wish they where mine. You have a special touch.

16. Donna K says:

Gorgeous sunset pictures. Too bad it was so foggy on the day we visited. I don’t think we got the full experience. The fog is not to blame – we are for not being sensible and dressing for the weather! Good reason to go back.

Yeah, I think you managed to catch one of Cape Blanco’s notorious foggy days. Sometimes it’s so thick we can’t even see the lighthouse from the greeting center ~150 feet away! You never know what kind of weather you’ll get out here.

17. geogypsy2u says:

You seem to be having a fiery good time. Love those shots of the sunsets and lighthouse. Have seen fire dancing up close and am in awe.

18. John says:

Was so nice to put voices with faces on yesterday’s online lighthouse tour!

Fire dancing, OMG! Not that I would ever dare to try, with my klutzy nature, but it would be fascinating to see. How did your video chat go?

20. […] their epic storage-purge for a week of social fun. Yeah!! We soul-melded with these techno-geeks at Cape Blanco this summer, so we were super-excited to see them again and paint nearby Palm Springs red with […]

21. […] Fiery Friends & Fine Sunsets […]