As we enter our 3rd day at Best Friends we’ve managed to frolic with puppies, play with the pigs and help out with some of the older dogs too. But, amazingly, that’s not all there is to this place. A ride around the grounds takes you to a stunning overlook of the valley at Angel Village (where you can get a $5 lunch with a view if you’re volunteering), hidden inlets, and…my absolute favorite, Angels Rest. This is where our lovlies go to rest, and it’s a gorgeous, peaceful and meditative place. The caretaker there is a lovely gentleman who started out part-time, became a care-taker and ended up staying for 8 years. The peacefulness and I guess the closure of helping people with the passing of their pets just kept him coming back.
There’s over 5,000 animals resting here of all kinds. Some have wind-chimes as memorials so you’re greeted by the soft sounds of bells as you walk around, at times becoming an opera of melodies when the wind picks up. The graves have pale red stones, and polished rocks are left for every visit, an old Hebrew tradition. In addition, each month the Rescue holds a blessing where you can share the impact a pet has had on your life. Every step here has a story and a meaning, so it’s quite a moving experience to walk around.
A fitting place for those we’ve loved and a highly recommended stop, indeed.
Don’t Weep for Me
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there
I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the gentle autumn rain
When you awaken in the mornings hush
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet
Birds in circled flight
I am the soft star that shines at night
Do not stand by my grave and cry
I am not there
I did not die
Engraved at the entrance to Angel’s Rest
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Wednesday ThursdayClear81°/50°Clear81°/48°Clear84°/50°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- TLC For "The Beast" in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- The Journey