Hoodoo, Hoodly-dum, hookey, hokus
I think I see a doodledum in the nokus
The word hoodoo seems like it would come from a very silly rhyme in a Dr.Zeuss book. In fact the origin of the word is West African and can mean both a form of magic, nonsense or hokum, or a large, oddly-shaped formation of rock. All of these seem to make sense when you enter the Red Canyon area. Like stepping into a fairytale you find yourself surrounded by bulbous towers of rock, sprinkled by pine trees and bathed in the most un-natural red-orange color. It all seems quite unreal and it certainly is unique. Unlike most canyons, this area is sculpted mainly by ice and thawing rather than moving water. A process called “frost-wedging” (unrelated to the playground version, mind you) cracks the various layers and makes holes and bulbs creating unusual towers of rock in a never-ending process of destruction.
All this happens above 6,000 ft moving up to 9,000 ft which gives this area it’s second unique characteristic and that’s stargazing. The thin air and the fact that it’s pretty much “out there” means you can see 7,500 stars with the naked eye (compared to ~2,500 in a typical small town) which creates quite the visual nighttime masterpiece.
So, if you’re feeling a bit light-headed and somewhat in awe it may just be the magic of Red Canyon drawing you in. Go with it and let your rhyming tongue fly within.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Desert Hot Springs, CA Today Monday TuesdayClear57°/37°Clear57°/34°Clear63°/32°
Love the Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- The Wheeling It Blog Has MOVED!!!!
- 2013 “Big 5″ RV Christmas Wish-List
- Thankful & Historic
- A Few More Dog-Friendly Hikes – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wonderfully Crazy Desert…
- Self-Medical Care Part III – Negotiating Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics With Cash Pay
- Self-Medical Care Part II – Self-Testing Links
- Self-Medical Care Part I – Why Do It?
- Spa, Spa, Spa….And RV Buddies! Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Our Top 5 Essential Boondocking Items
- Halloween Hairiness & More Putzing…Lone Pine, CA
- Putzing, Putzing, Putzing…And RV Sue!
- Boondocking Site Review – Volcanic Tablelands BLM, Bishop, CA
- $2 Gourmet Meals, Railroads & Some Apples – Bishop, CA
- Boondocking & Bumming In Bishop, CA