There is no place
Like this place
Anywhere near this place
So this must be the place
(Cabot’s Pueblo Museum)
We came across this poem engraved in an old wooden board deep in Desert Hot Springs and it’s stuck in my mind almost ever since. You see the southwestern desert is a devil of a place. Bare, wild land with searing temperatures in summer and freezing cold at night. The place is unyielding, lonely and brutally harsh and yet, Cabot Yerxa saw the spot in 1913 and thought it just the place for him.
I totally understand that approach. Personally, I’ve always felt a bit like a human chameleon. It could be the result of my many years of travel, or possibly a lust for experience with a touch of naivety, but I’ve always felt I was able to “fit in” no matter where I went. Travel for me has always been about opening myself to the newness of everything and blending in like a good martini to whatever place I was visiting. By the mere act of opening yourself to possibilities, you attract people, places and experiences and that’s what makes life beautiful.
So, as I sit here in the deep Smoky Mountains chilling under the fall leaves, chatting to my neighbours and sharing life histories I think “this is the place”. The cool thing is, no matter where I go tomorrow, or how long I stay there, I know that will be the place too.
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Friday SaturdayPartly Cloudy68°/45°Chance of Rain54°/37°Partly Cloudy54°/37°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness