Well, we’ve ended up staying in the little town of Edna, TX a little longer than expected. A few days back our pooch, Polly started getting sick. At first it didn’t seem like much, dogs being prone to little upsets now and then, but after a full night of vomiting followed by a morning of bright red diarrhea we knew we weren’t going to be moving the RV for a while. I’ve got a fair number of home remedies that I use, and am pretty good at being able to diagnose and heal general minor issues in the animals, but I also know when it’s time to pack it in and see a vet, and this was one of those times.
Bright red poo, medically called hematochezia, signifies something is irritating the lower intestine, and it can be caused by a number of issues. My thought was it was likely either something she’d eaten outside or some kind of parasite she’d picked up. So, we googled the nearest vet, rang ‘em up and went in for an afternoon appointment. The vet (as with most vets we’ve used on the road) was a lovely gentlemen and he agreed with my initial thoughts. So, it was onto medication for 3 days while hoping the thing cleared up (or we would go back for more tests).
So, here we’ve been. It’s always heartbreaking when your animals are sick especially since they can’t really tell you what’s wrong, but we were definitely not going anywhere until Polly got better. Thankfully on day 2 of the medication things took a turn for the positive, and we’re hopeful she’s over the worst of it, but it does mean we’ve had to re-route our trip somewhat. So, instead of heading 3 days to boondock down in Padre National Seashore, we’re going to cut across directly to San Antonio/Austin and pick up our original itinerary from there.
These things do happen, and thankfully we can be flexible and work around them. We’ll enjoy our surroundings, relax and sleep things off. It’s beautiful here, in it’s on way, and there’s no rush to see the next thing or even to see it at all.
If pooch is under the weather, we’re all under the weather so we’ll stick together until the skies clear.
Where Are We Today?Cape Blanco State Park, OR
Cape Blanco, OR Today Monday TuesdayFog73°/45°Fog75°/46°Fog73°/48°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- TLC For “The Beast” Part II – New Tires
- TLC For “The Beast” in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- Aaaaand….We Made It DOWN!
- 10 Thoughts On Living & RVing The San Juan Islands, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations – 5 “Western Arm” Gems
- Ducks & Lighthouse Nuts – Patos Island, WA
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan, WA -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- TLC For "The Beast" Part II - New Tires
- TLC For "The Beast" in Eugene, OR (And Tips On Finding Good Repair Spots)
- About Us
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey