Beautiful blue in the turf

So it’s officially the first day of summer, the solstice, the longest day of the year. Technically the earth’s axis is at exactly 23.4 degrees relative to the sun. Historically it’s a day of celebration, ceremony and fascinating pagan rites, but in Nina terms it means beautifully long sunny days and barefoot walks in the grass.

It’s the turn of a season and the beginning of a  fabulous new day.

We woke up in style to the most glorious of mornings, slightly on the chilly side but beautifully refreshing, and astonished to find the very first drops of rain this year had fallen in our forested “back yard”.

After I had peeled off the cat (who had hermetically sealed herself to me with the low temps overnight), and put the hair back on hubby’s chest with  an espresso so solid even a Turk would approve, I took pooch by the reins and bounded with youthful joy, or my best impression thereof, into the moist and fragrant forest.

A show of white for the morning

Ahhh to be a fawn of the forest, fairy of the trees and dryad of the greens. Doggie and I skipped with all abandon up the creek and immersed ourselves in the new scents of dew.

And then I noticed the blooms.

Not that I hadn’t seen them before, but on this day they seemed to shine particularly bright. As if on cue blooms of spring much delayed by drought and a long winter blanketed the forest for the first day of summer.

We had a fine time pooch and I, out there by ourselves. I snapped up flower shots on my stomach while doggie bounded around with ever-hopeful thoughts of rabbits and squirrels. No locals were harmed and we returned with dignity intact to the campground.

It may our last day in the forest, and the end of a very enchanted ride, but it’s the beginning of a whole new season and I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

A dust of dandelion

Blooms galore in the forest

18 Responses to Spring Blooms In Summer

1. Sandie Dixon says:

This post was a joy to read. Thank you.

2. Daniel says:

Thank you for your comment on my blog.
    We are spending some time with our youngest son in Toronto till Saturday and then will drive to where our RIG is stored,get it ready and hit the road.
    Have a GREAT summer.

3. Glenda Laine says:

Great photos. Flower photos are always ‘joyful’ & can provide much more detail than usually noticed with the naked eye. Love your comment about ‘peeling off the cat’. We’re full timing with 2 cats & have similar problems at times. What is it that makes humans put off disturbing a sleeping cat? LOL

Glenda,
      Hehe…yeah, cats are “sticky” creatures when it gets chilly. We’ve become
      well-trained heating blankets for them. :)

4. Love the shot’s, especially the first one and the Dandelion, very nice. Glad your injoying Northern NM.

5. Candace says:

Shades of Charles Kuralt ….. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your dialog. I can almost feel the morning dew and smell the fresh pine. Enjoy !

6. Mark S says:

If you ever stop blogging, we are going to be very sad….love the image of you on the ground snapping away and doggie bounding about in the forest.

Thanks Mark…you guys certainly inspire me to keep blogging. It’s wonderful to be able to share all these experiences online.

7. Sue says:

Thanks to your great park reviews we are going to Boyd Lake this summer. I love to read your blog and fyi we have 16 paws….heehee.

2 poodles, 1 jack russell, and 1 corgi

Hope some day we can hook up for a visit!

Craig and Sue
    Our Fiver Adventures

I agree with Candace. Nina…you have the most wonderful way with words. I love any type of flower. It is the one thing I miss most about my house. I had a huge garden. You gave me such good memories of those beds.

9. Syl says:

When you include photos of the wildflowers, I can tell that you are indeed “smelling the roses”. Love the way your words paint a picture also.
    Syl

10. beautiful pics…ahhh, what a way to start the day!