På loftet sidder nissen med sin julegrød,
sin julegrød, så god og sød,
han nikker, og han spiser, og han er så glad
for julegrød er hans bedste mad.
(Up in the attic sits “nissen” with his rice pudding
His rice pudding, so good and sweet
He nods and he eats and he’s oh so happy
Because rice pudding is his favorite food)
Danish Christmas Song, 1911 (listen to it here)
Twas the night before Christmas and the RV was crawling with nisser! The magical and mischievous little creatures have managed to sneak onto the slides and are making merry and taking things apart, as they do. Thankfully I’m prepared and already making rice pudding which should hopefully keep them busy for the night. We’ll see…
But the elves are not the only thing going on in the RV tonight. Our hearts abound and on this merry San Diego eve of the 23rd I’m making a little present of my heart to yours. These are Danish woven julehjerter (Christmas Hearts) and are another great little Danish tradition, which double up as handy, space-saving and fun RV Christmas decorations.
The tradition of weaving hearts goes back they say to the late 1800′s. The oldest known Danish julehjerte was actually made by Hans Christian Andersen in 1860 and is still preserved in his old house in Odense, Denmark. I’ve been weaving these things since I was a child and still make one or two each year. Traditionally they’re made with red and white shiny paper, but you can get creative and use any color you like. When they’re done they open up, like a basket, and you can fill them and hang them on your tree (or, in our case hang them on the free tree cuttings I got from Home Depot and put in my handy, dandy collapsible vase!).
All you need is 2 different-colored sheets of paper. Follow the instructions here or check out this video. And with that my friends I make a gift of my heart to yours. For as the Beatles so very famously said, all you need is love. And love is really what these next few days are all about. Happy Holiday’s Everyone!
Where Are We Today?Deception Pass State Park, Whidbey Island, WA
Deception Pass, WA Today Friday SaturdayClear75°/52°Partly Cloudy75°/54°Partly Cloudy75°/54°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Harbor Campground Review – Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- The City Of Dreams – Port Townsend, WA
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
- NF Campground Review – Kalaloch Beach, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Harbor Campground Review - Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- The City Of Dreams - Port Townsend, WA
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part II - Our Los Algodones Experience