På loftet sidder nissen med sin julegrød,
sin julegrød, så god og sød,
han nikker, og han spiser, og han er så glad
for julegrød er hans bedste mad.
(Up in the attic sits “nissen” with his rice pudding
His rice pudding, so good and sweet
He nods and he eats and he’s oh so happy
Because rice pudding is his favorite food)
Danish Christmas Song, 1911 (listen to it here)

nisser making mischief in the RV

Twas the night before Christmas and the RV was crawling with nisser! The magical and mischievous little creatures have managed to sneak onto the slides and are making merry and taking things apart, as they do. Thankfully I’m prepared and already making rice pudding which should hopefully keep them busy for the night. We’ll see…

But the elves are not the only thing going on in the RV tonight. Our hearts abound and on this merry San Diego eve of the 23rd I’m making a little present of my heart to yours. These are Danish woven julehjerter (Christmas Hearts) and are another great little Danish tradition, which double up as handy, space-saving and fun RV Christmas decorations.

One of my many woven hearts

The tradition of weaving hearts goes back they say to the late 1800’s. The oldest known Danish julehjerte was actually made by Hans Christian Andersen in 1860 and is still preserved in his old house in Odense, Denmark. I’ve been weaving these things since I was a child and still make one or two each year. Traditionally they’re made with red and white shiny paper, but you can get creative and use any color you like. When they’re done they open up, like a basket, and you can fill them and hang them on your tree (or, in our case hang them on the free tree cuttings I got from Home Depot and put in my handy, dandy collapsible vase!).

All you need is 2 different-colored sheets of paper. Follow the instructions here or check out this video. And with that my friends I make a gift of my heart to yours. For as the Beatles so very famously said, all you need is love. And love is really what these next few days are all about. Happy Holiday’s Everyone!

Our Christmas “tree” (cuttings from Home Depot)

Another of our little RV elves

25 Responses to Christmas Elves And A Gift of Hearts

1. Jesse Morrison says:

Merry Christmas to you two and thanks for all the inspiration in your posts. Here’s wishing you a Happy New Year and may the Nisser be kind to you both.

2. Sheila says:

From our heart to yours as well Nina and Paul. Merry Christmas and a Joyful New Year. May this year bring you both much happiness, good health and many miles of wonderous travels!!

3. Linda Sand says:

I think I could make those. They make me think of the stars my SIL makes to hang from her ceiling.

Hope your Christmas doesn’t stay snowy and white beyond the point when you are ready to move on.

Oh yes, the stars! We have something like that which I used to make too. Haven’t done those in years! I’ll have to look them up.

4. hobopals says:

Nina, the blogging world has fallen in love with you. I go from blog to blog and your writing is an inspiration to all. I wish the happiest of holidays for you, Paul, and Polly and a New Year of continued adventure, peace, and happiness.

5. Deborah says:

Nina, thank you for all the great blogging you shared this year, as they are always full of helpful ideals and tips. I look forward to what 2012 will bring to the blog, safe travels! Merry Christmas (Happy Holiday’s) to The Fussing Gang & Happy New Years!!

Thanks for all of the sharing Nina, and giving of your heart…See you down the road…

7. Henry Archer, Jr. says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. I have enjoyed reading your writings this past year. Take care and may God Bless.

Henry

8. Have a wonderful blessed Christmas, you guys!

9. Sheila says:

Merry Christmas—and thank you for your great blog! I hope our paths cross somewhere in our travels.

10. Martha says:

Thanks so much for the JULEHJERTER lesson! We have been cutting and weaving this afternoon — I am going to fill them with candy and hand them out to our neighbors here at the park!! It was a great way for me to get distracted from missing our kids!! Wishing you and Paul and your furry friends a blessed holiday and hope to meet Paul and see you again in 2012.

Oh, I’m so HAPPY you guys went and made some. Don’t they just make great little give-aways? Thanks for the wonderful wishes and Merry Christmas to you too!

11. Merry, Happy, and Joyous!

12. Maribeth says:

Merry Christmas, I love your woven heart. I have done those in the past for scrapbook pages. Its been a long time. You reminded me of these and now I have a plan in place for next year. Thank you.

13. [...] making traditional Danish rice pudding (tonight) and Ris-a-la-Mande (tomorrow), keeping the RV Christmas Elves in check (they’re always up to mischief this time of year), and socializing with our [...]