I’ve always got about 20 blog post ideas knocking around in my head, but don’t always get around to all of them (too many posts, not enough time?). One of my long-term ideas is to do a regular series of “easy RV mod” posts. The idea behind this series is to highlight super-easy, inexpensive and hopefully super-useful RV mods which anyone can do. My other idea is to make this an interactive series too, one where I invite readers to send in their own mods to highlight in future posts. After marinating on this idea for a while I’ve decided to kick it into action and we’ll see where it goes. So….here it goes….
One of the best all-around easy mods we’ve done to our RV in the past year is to switch out our factory-installed shower head with an Oxygenics head. Now, I’m usually not one to gush about showers, and even though I’d seen the mod on RV forums (with super-rave reviews) I resisted it for a long time. I mean how much real difference does a showerhead actually make? Well this winter we finally relented and I have to admit I absolutely LOVE this thing.
Oxygenics uses a cool technology that accelerates and injects oxygen into the water flow which does two totally awesome things -> it increases water pressure while decreasing water usage. What this means in practical terms in the RV is that you get a more powerful shower, especially in low-pressure areas (e.g. low-pressure water supply or while using the RV water pump) PLUS you get to take longer showers for the same amount of water (excellent for boondocking!). Even though our shower came with a pretty decent head we immediately noticed the difference and have been totally hooked since we installed it.
Here’s how we put it all together:
1/The Shower Head: We bought the Body Spa Oxygenics “kit” from Amazon since this was the best deal on the net when we looked ($26.21 at the time with bought it with free Prime shipping). The hose and fittings that come in the “kit” are horrible (really poor quality plastic) so we just used the head and tossed the rest. The head fit directly into our existing hose and holder so all we had to do was screw it on and go.
2/ Shut-Off Valve: When we’re boondocking we take “navy showers” and like having an easy shut-off for the shower. I did not like the included on-off valve that came with the shower head kit (it’s a collar on the bottom of the showerhead that you turn which I found waaaay too fiddly in the shower) so we got rid of it and installed a cheap (~$5) thumb-operated shut-off valve from Home Depot. Much faster and nicer system to use.
The final result? A great shower that feels exactly like the one we used to get in our “fancy” bathroom at our old stix house, even while boondocking. Plus hot water and water tanks that last a much longer time. The head is heavier than our old one so we make a point of taking it off the holder and placing it on the shower floor when travelling, but other than that we’ve made no other changes. Awesome mod for a pretty awesome price…I recommend it
Got a cool RV mod of your own? Feel free to e-mail me with photos and details and I’ll highlight on the blog in a future post. Full credit will be yours!
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Thursday FridayPartly Cloudy64°/45°Chance of Rain66°/41°Chance of Rain54°/37°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!