Podcast Interlude: How To Find The Perfect Boondocking Spot
This was probably not the blog post you expected me to write today. In my last blog post I’d just left you in Boston and I was about to sweep you all up into Maine (where we are now), so what am I doing talking about boondocking? Plus I’m already a tad behind. In linear time travel terms I’m around 3 weeks behind, while in RV time travel terms I’m about a week behind, which means in blog-land time I’m about 4 posts back. That’s blog-RV relativity for you, an as-yet undiscovered scientific revelation and (very likely) the missing piece to the Theory Of Everything.
But as usual I digress.
Just for today I’m going to pause this NE trip and teleport you around 3,000 miles southwest into the wide, open AZ desert. And instead of an RV park I’m going to take you waaay off the beaten track. You see last week I was lucky enough to be invited onto the popular and informative RV podcast from Roadtreking to talk about boondocking! It’s a topic I LOVE talking about and could literally drone on about for hours, but thankfully Mike kept me in check and we managed to squeeze it into around 20 minutes or so.
In the podcast we discuss how to find the perfect spot including which resources I find useful (there are many), what we look for in a site and whether we ever worry about security (a common newbie concern). It was a ton of fun to do! The podcast was published today so I wanted to share it on the blog right away. My segment begins about 1/2 hour in (but I recommend listening to the whole podcast, lots of good stuff in there). So if you’re interested check it out:
- Roadtreking Episode 157: How to Find the Perfect Boondocking Spot
New To Boondocking? If you’ve never heard about boondocking (maybe you’re new to the blog) it’s the joy of camping for free in the boonies on public land. We’ve done a lot of it out West and love it so much that I have an entire section of the blog dedicated to it (HERE), plus it’s inspired me to write a slew of posts including a 4-part, ~11,000 word “Boondocking for Newbies” series. So if you’ve never boondocking and are curious where or how to start, read on here:
- Boondocking For Newbies Part I -> Finding Where To Go
- Boondocking For Newbies Part II -> Prepping Your RV
- Boondocking For Newbies Part III -> Geting Your Rig Into The Site
- Boondocking For Newbies Part IV – Enjoying Your Time In The Boonies
New To Podcasts? A quick note on podcasts. We love podcasts and use them often as entertainment while we’re driving down the road. We typically download 4-5 podcasts on our ipads before we get on the road and then listen to them over the RV speakers (via bluetooth) while we drive. We have some general go-to Podcasts like This American Life (always awesome!), but we also have several RV podcasts that we like and recommend. Here are a few:
- RV Entrepreneur – Health & Alyssa interview folks every week who make their living fulltime on the road! Tons of inspiring stuff here both for the RV dreamer and those of you on the road looking to change the way you make your income. We were honored to be included on their Podcast in Episode 30 and have been addicted to listening in ever since.
- Living The RV Dream – John and Kathy started producing this in 2009 and have covered just about every aspect of the RV lifestyle in that time. Just this March life circumstances were such that they decided to hang up the headphones and pass them on to their friend Robert Morales. He continues to publish as “Living The RV Dream With Traveling Robert” HERE.
That’s it for today…short and sweet. Two months of realtime Maine goodness coming next….