So, we’ve left the land of sunshine and snowbirds and landed ourselves in Alabama, and thanks to a bit of paw-friendly planning we’ve discovered another fabulous beach here on Dauphin Island. We deliberately skirted the popular Gulf Shores area precisely because we wanted a paw-friendly experience, and I have to admit this place delivers. It doesn’t have quite the pristine or remote feel of St. Joseph in FL and the view is spotted with oil-rigs off the coast, but we played for an hour and a half in the sand and surf with pooch this AM and only met 2 people so it goes into the “pretty darn nice” pile for us.
Now, this is the Deep South and it’s bursting with interesting history, but before I run off and talk about it I thought I would share a little story of how our pooch became such a beach-lover. You see, Polly was a very skittish puppy who approached water with a well-grounded mistrust and considered stick-chasing a fruitless pastime rather beneath her dignity. It took many months of daily visits to the beach in San Diego before she overcame fear to put her paw in the water, and even more months of coaxing and play before she decided retrieving was worth her time. We were already on the road by this time, Polly was over 7 months old and she’d never been for a proper swim.
But….we persisted. Approaching the problem with style Polly decided to have her first swim at stunning Cathedral Rock in Sedona, her first retrieving dips in spectacular Lake Powell and finally did the surf and beach full and dog-happy justice when we reached the Eastern Shores of Hunting Island, SC. From a scared and reserved dry-land pup, after 4,000 miles and many good doses of positive play and training she turned into an unabashedly exuberant water-dog. She now loves her sticks, will happily spend a full hour of retrieving in the surf and considers swims with dad the best of treats. So, the story has turned into one of the salt dog and us, and although it doesn’t quite have the flair of Ernest Hemingway, it’ll be a tale we’ll enjoy for the rest of our lives.
Where Are We Today?Sam's Spa, Desert Hot Springs, CA
Desert Hot Springs, CA Today Tuesday WednesdayClear59°/30°Clear59°/37°Clear68°/37°
Love the Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Last Few Days At Sam’s Spa – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wheeling It Blog Has MOVED!!!!
- 2013 “Big 5″ RV Christmas Wish-List
- Thankful & Historic
- A Few More Dog-Friendly Hikes – Desert Hot Springs, CA
- The Wonderfully Crazy Desert…
- Self-Medical Care Part III – Negotiating Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics With Cash Pay
- Self-Medical Care Part II – Self-Testing Links
- Self-Medical Care Part I – Why Do It?
- Spa, Spa, Spa….And RV Buddies! Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Our Top 5 Essential Boondocking Items
- Halloween Hairiness & More Putzing…Lone Pine, CA
- Putzing, Putzing, Putzing…And RV Sue!
- Boondocking Site Review – Volcanic Tablelands BLM, Bishop, CA
- $2 Gourmet Meals, Railroads & Some Apples – Bishop, CA