“Master be contented, this is leape yeare, Women weare breetches, petticoats are deare.”
From The Maid’s Metamorphosis, circa 1600
Today is an extra day…a special day…a BONUS day in fact. You see we’re in a leap year and that means we get to throw an extra day on the month so our good ‘ol Gregorian calendar can keep up with the earth’s 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 second rotation schedule around the sun. Phew! It’s exhausting just to think about, really.
Another way of looking at it is that we happen to be passing through one of the years whose date is exactly divisible by 4 except those which are divisible by 100 but not 400 -> That would be Brewster’s Dictionary sparkly clear definition of a leap year, by the way, which takes the cup for ridiculous mathematics in my book.
But these are all semantics…
What’s important is that we’re in BONUS territory and that means a BONUS post, BONUS pictures and, what is infinitely more interesting, a day of fun little traditions:
Leaper’s Abound: If you happen to be born today you’re a “leapling” or “leaper”, you will have fewer birthday anniversaries and your parents will no doubt save lots of money on presents.
Ladies Rule: If you’re a girl you may take “ladies privilege“, a more than 4 century old Leap Year tradition that confers ladies the “privilege” of proposing marriage to men instead of the other way around. Apparently any man who refuses must forfeit a fine which may involve both kissing and some appropriate token of clothing such as new gloves or a silk dress, depending on the county. I missed the memo on this one when I asked Paul to marry me in 1997 (my natural impatience wouldn’t allow me to wait for the leap year), but then I did get a “yes” which rather trumps the gloves for me
And what, might you say, does all this have to do with RVing? Well this is a bonus post so technically it doesn’t need to fit in, but for those women RVers out there I deem today as the day you’re in charge. Yup, it’s RV womanhood day, the day we weare breetches, rule the roost and make all the decisions (as opposed to the other days where just pretend to let our partners make the decision…right, girls?). At least that’s my decision today. And I give it to you all as a free bonus
Where Are We Today?Dry-camping near Silver Springs, NV
Silver Springs, NV Today Thursday FridayPartly Cloudy64°/41°Partly Cloudy68°/39°Chance of Rain54°/36°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- BLM Campground Review – Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo – Hawthorne, NV
- Contact On The Extraterrestrial Highway!
- Free Campground Review – Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, Alamo, NV
- Rocking Out In Lincoln County, NV -> Petroglyphs & Pahranagats
- Triple Score In Nevada’s No-Man Land!
- Boondocking Site Review – Stewarts Point, Lake Mead, NV
- Ready to Go….Or Maybe Not (And A Drowned Ghost Town) – Lake Mead, NV
- Wonder & Awe In The Valley Of Fire, NV
- 5 Cool Outings Around Lake Mead, NV
Top Posts & Pages
- BLM Campground Review - Walker Lake Recreation Area, Hawthorne, NV
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- A Salty Lake And A Whole Sea Of Ammo - Hawthorne, NV
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Journey
- About Us
- 4 Tips For Creating Instant Indoor RV Coziness