A simply wonderful state park on the tip of wild & gorgeous Cape Disappointment at the very SW end of WA.
- Site Quality = 5/5 Outstanding sites here if you book in the main campground (sites 1-180). All sites are large paved back-in with spacious ”sitting areas” containing picnic table & fire-pit. There is a mix of full hookup (50 Amp/water/sewer -> Sites 1-60) to partial (30 Amp/water -> sites 62-87) or non-hookup, plus also Yurts. The sites are arranged in “rings” of 10 sites around a circle (like the spokes of a wheel) so there is generally very good separation and a natural, relaxed feel. There is generous vegetation, green and trees, and the circular arrangement means you only ever really see a few other RVs from your particular site. The circles nearest the beach (sites 11-20, 101-110, 161-170) are only open in summer, have a little more sun and are literally steps from the beach. A few select sites (e.g. 15-18, 104-106, 167-168) even have slices of beach views. The rings further from the beach are generally very wooded/shaded, but very private and still only a short walk to the sand.
Note/ The only sites I don’t recommend are the primitive sites near the ranger entrance and outside the main campground (sites 181-234) since they are unpaved, uneven/small and far from the beach. These are really tent-only and not suitable for RVs.
- Facilities = 3.5/5 Basic, good facilities here. Large warm, showers and toilets all kept spotlessly clean. Biggest ding is showers are pay-only ($0.50 for 3 mins). On-site dump station.
- Location = 5/5 Camping here is worth it for the location alone. You are on the very tip of Cape Disappointment, literally steps from a gorgeous beach with views of dramatic cliffs (and a lighthouse). The park itself has tons of hiking/biking trails, several additional beaches, a lovely Lewis&Clark Interpretive Museum and two lighthouses. You could easily spend days just exploring the park. In addition you are only a few miles away from sleepy Ilwaco and the fun of the Long Beach Peninsula. No end of stuff to do here.
- Pet Friendliness = 5/5 Great doggie site. Lots of space at camp, a huge (enormous) beach to romp on plus tons of trails to hike around the park. Park even offers doggie-bags at the campground.
Overall Rating = 4.6
BONUS ALERT = Camp just steps from gorgeous beach, dramatic cliffs, lighthouses and history!
Summary: If locations could write, this spot would be a novel. Cape Disappointment is a wild, crazy beautiful location of dramatic cliffs, beaches and not just one, but two lighthouses. There are tons of hiking trails, exceptional beaches and no end of historical interest. Plus you’re only a few miles from Ilwaco and the fun of the Long Beach Peninsula. Add onto that a lovely campground with spacious sites that have lots of vegetation and are well-separated into circles of only 10 sites each giving a wonderful, natural feel to the entire setting. All sites are paved with good “sitting areas” providing picnic table plus fire-pit and a mix of full hookups, partial hookups and primitive. The sites closest to the beach are literally steps from the sand and even the furthest are within easy walking distance. The only potential dings? This place is known for it’s crazy weather so you may get a mix of just about anything out here, plus there is zero (NO) Verizon signal. But you can grab a free WiFi signal at the local pizza joint and when that sun opens up, the spot is simply magical. Even if you don’t stay in your RV here, I highly recommend a visit. We LOVED our time here and would most definitely come back!
Extra Info: NO Verizon signal (zero, nada, zip) at campground. There is a usable 3G signal near the entrance of the park, plus free WiFi at Serious Pizza. 180 sites in main campground, all reservable online. Sites cost $32-37/night for full hookups (60 sites -> 50 Amp/water/sewer), $30-35 for partial hookups (18 sites -> 30 Amp/water), $23-26 for standard sites (all remaining sites -> no hookups) in summer season. On-site dump station.
NOTE/ WA State Parks has pics of each campsite on their reservation page.
Where Are We Today?Orcas Island, WA
Orcas Island, WA Today Thursday FridayPartly Cloudy66°/55°Partly Cloudy66°/54°Partly Cloudy68°/55°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 “Eastern Arm” Secrets
- Island Hopping To San Juan -> Lighthouses, Harbors & Pig Wars
- Volunteer Hosting at Mount Constitution, Orcas Island, WA – What Do We DO Here?
- We Sail, We Climb, We Conquer – Orcas Island, WA
- SP Campground Review – Deception Pass State Park, Whidbey Island, WA
- Whipping Through Whidbey Island, WA
- Harbor Campground Review – Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
- The City Of Dreams – Port Townsend, WA
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- Lounging In Laid-Back Lopez Island, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing
- Orcas Island Explorations -> 4 "Eastern Arm" Secrets