We’ve decided to spend a few more days here in Nature’s Paradise at South Llano State River Park. It’s simply a gorgeous spot, teeming with outdoor attractions and the wild, unpredictable beauty of the Hill Country desert. A few days back daytime temps hit 100°F and we were holed up in the RV struggling to keep cool with 30Amp hookup and a single aircon. Then, in a flight of fickle fancy the desert changed it’s mood and brought down a cold spell bringing overnight temperatures to near freezing and forcing on the furnace. It’s the law of the West and there’s nowhere else that can take you through a complete set of wardrobe changes faster, bringing a whole new meaning to the term “quick draw”.
We’ve whiled the days away hiking the many miles of wilderness trails, admiring sweeping views of the valley, and going for quick and mighty refreshing dips in the river. In a mad burst of energetic inspiration, which I can only attribute to “the desert makes you do weird things”, yours truly even dry-washed the entire RV with Protect All. So, although the dog may resemble a dusty sponge, and our skin is starting to leather and camouflage with the ground, the RV is gleaming happily in the sun for at least for a day or so until the desert gets to it.
We’ve also attempted some birding, taking advantage of the multiple bird blinds set-up inside the park that host over 220 species of avians. Our attempts at the latter, admittedly, have been rather poor given that the pooch and us have rather divergent views on the matter. All that fluttering and hopping about is simply far too enticing for doggie so although we both share a burning interest, our expected outcome is…ahem….somewhat different.
We’re going to enjoy the cooler air for another day and then escape the week-end (and the next forecasted hot-spell) by driving off into the Mountains. In the meantime I’ll leave you with dreams of warm desert wind, tweeting birds and far-away places.
Where Are We Today?Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, WA
Port Townsend, WA Today Saturday SundayPartly Cloudy68°/48°Fog72°/50°Fog73°/52°
Like The Blog? Share The Love & Use Our Amazon Link!
- CP Campground Review – Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Discovering Sequim Part II – Lavender Soul
- Discovering Sequim Part I – Lighthouse Loving
- RV Park Review – Hobuck Beach Resort, Neah Bay, WA
- At The Untamed Edge – Cape Flattery, WA
- RV Park Review – Quileute Oceanside RV Park, La Push, WA
- A Wonderfully Pleasant Surprise – La Push, WA
- NF Campground Review – Kalaloch Beach, WA
- Squeeze Me And Yes, Please – Kalaloch, WA
- RV Park Review – American Sunset RV & Tent Resort, Westport, WA
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Fulltime RVing...
- CP Campground Review - Dungeness Recreation Area, Sequim, WA
- Getting Dental Work In Mexico Part I - Clarifying Myths & Facts
- Discovering Sequim Part II - Lavender Soul
- About Us
- Free Overnight RV Parking = Finding "Freebies"
- RV Tank Sensors &The GEO Method
- The Costs of Full-Time RVing